Does changing SMB Share attribute cause disconnects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onigiri

Dabbler
I have an environment in which causing a disconnect of the share without scheduling it causes major widespread issues (has to do with our software and how it accesses the data). My question is this: If i change the attribute of the share, specifically I want to remove the vfs_fullaudit that was added a while back, disconnect the share for the end users? I know that changing the attributes of the SMB service itself forces the service to restart, but I am wondering if the share attributes temporarily disconnect the users from that share.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have an environment in which causing a disconnect of the share without scheduling it causes major widespread issues (has to do with our software and how it accesses the data). My question is this: If i change the attribute of the share, specifically I want to remove the vfs_fullaudit that was added a while back, disconnect the share for the end users? I know that changing the attributes of the SMB service itself forces the service to restart, but I am wondering if the share attributes temporarily disconnect the users from that share.

It shouldn't trigger a service restart, but it's better to go ahead and schedule a maintenance window to make such changes to play it safe. This is especially true in an environment like you're describing.

Status
Not open for further replies.