SOLVED Disk is faulted, asking for help

AamirA

Dabbler
I hope I'm allowed to make this post but I just woke up today to 9 truenas emails saying Device: /dev/sdb [SAT], 1360 Offline uncorrectable sectors. and
Code:
Pool Storage state is DEGRADED: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.
The following devices are not healthy:

Disk ST3000DM001-1ER166 Z502GAMY is FAULTED

Will I need to replace the drive? It is kinda old but still unfortunate. I'm not sure what the best next step is. This is what smartctl says even though it is from when I tested it before it happened? https://pastebin.com/DaHdkGZ4. Should I do another smart test? Scrub? Right now I'm coping all the data onto a removable hard drive from my other drive in the mirror just in case. The faulted drive is not being used from what I can tell.
Thank you

somethingweird

Contributor

NugentS

MVP
yeah - first replace it with a non SMR drive. Look at best bang for your buck sized HDD's. If this drive is old then the other is probably old as well - and it might be better to buy a larger drive so that when you replace the working drive you automatically get more space(you mentioned a mirror, I assume 2 way)

Then you can test it offline / on another machine (or even in the same machine, depending on your hardware) where it doesn't potentially have an impact on the data

I have assumed much - but I have no choice as you haven't posted you hardware as per forum rules

joeschmuck

Old Man
Please do not use pastebin as it disappears after time, rather post in our forums. The drive is a CMR drive.
You have a lot of reallocated sectors, you should have had a warning a long time ago.

You need to replace that drive before any data becomes corrupt, if it already hasn't done so.

Here is a nice link that shows drives, but the Serial Number spot is really the Model Number. Someone goofed.

NugentS

MVP

joeschmuck

Old Man
Wow, you are fast. I clicked POST and as soon as it came up I saw and fixed it. Hopefully is shows now.

AamirA

Dabbler
Hey, thanks everyone. Super sorry for not posting hardware and the paste bin. My apology I was kinda stressed. I'll probably get a IronWolf 4tb. Don't worry about the other one as its really new. I was just asking to make sure if couldn't be something else, cable, etc. Thanks again!

joeschmuck

Old Man
A data cable issue typically shows up as UDMA CDC Errors. Unfortunately what you have are hard errors.