Disabling Compression During Pool Creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrVining

Cadet
I'm creating a pool of SSD drives. I don't lz4 compression enabled on the pool. I know you can disable it, but I would prefer it disabled right from the start. I tried using zpool to create the pool, but then it doesn't show up in the FreeNAS GUI.

Does anyone have advice on disabling compression during creation of the pool, OR importing the pool into the GUI that was created using zpool? I've worked with zpool and zfs in Solaris, pretty new to FreeNAS.

danb35

Hall of Famer
What difference do you perceive between creating the pool without compression enabled initially, and creating the pool followed by immediately disabling compression?
Does anyone have advice on disabling compression during creation of the pool, OR importing the pool into the GUI that was created using zpool?
This will probably not end well for you, but if you zpool export the pool you created, you should then be able to Import Volume in the GUI.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Right. danb35's suggestion would have been what I would have suggested as well.

But, what are you trying to accomplish, if I may ask? Unless your system is from the Bill Clinton administration, lz4 compression should offer literally zero increased latency and CPU usage. That being said, I do turn it off when I know, a priori, that my files won't be compressible, but I am not at all put-out by the couple of data blocks that show up compressed upon initialization before I can turn it off.

It seems like misplaced jihad to me.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Even fast LZ4 compression can indeed be a bottleneck on system with bunch of fast SSDs, 40Gbps NICs and not the top-range CPU. Though I am not sure it is the case here, at least it is not specified. Usually SSD space is quite expensive to be used efficiently (with compression).

There is no reason to disable compression during pool creation, unless only you want pool to be compatible to Solaris, etc. that may not support OpenZFS extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.