Desperately need help with permissions and sharing - i have been trying for a week

ethereal

Guru
I have been running freenas for 8 years and i have 2 pools that i created back then.
There are no datasets i just share the two pools using samba with a guest access.
everything was ok until windows 10 updated and now it will not let me access the shares because it is a security risk.
i still have access on windows 7 but i don't know for how long. as my setup worked for 8 years i have never needed to learn about datasets, permissions and sharing.
i have watched videos and read the manual but i haven't a clue what to do. part of the problem is i am using 11.3-U1 and all the videos aren't. i also have huntingtons disease which has effected me. I need to get this sorted as soon as possible as my son's games are on the freenas.

This is what i think i need to do if i am wrong please let me know. i think if i use a user with a user name and password this will let my windows 10 see the shares

1. Create a group called kodi

2. Create a user called kodi with user name kodi and password kodi

3. Create a dataset on the pools and edit the permissions to user kodi and group kodi

4. Create a samba share to the two datasets

i hope you can help

FreeNAS-11.3-U1

Supermicro MBD-X9SCL-F-O
Intel Pentium G2130 3.20GHz (Dual Core)
32GB Crucial PC3-12800 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (ECC)

Boot Mirror - 2 x Intel SSD 320 Series 40GB
6 x 3TB - Western Digital in RAIDZ2
6 x 8TB in RAIDZ2 - WD80EZAZ removed from My Books - 3 Year Warranty
SAS9220-8i (FW 20.00.07.00-IT)

PSU - Seasonic G Series 550w
CyberPower CP685AVRG (390w UPS)

Case - Lian-Li PC-A71B with Lian-Li 3.5" / 2.5" HDD Rack Kit : EX-36B1

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So if I understand your current setup correctly, you have a share which was working in the past, just not with Windows 10 1903?

Perhaps we can start by looking at the settings of the share, since it could be as simple as correcting that to no longer allow SMBv1 and NTLMv1.

Please share your settings for both the share and the SMB service.

ethereal

Guru
So if I understand your current setup correctly, you have a share which was working in the past, just not with Windows 10 1903?

Perhaps we can start by looking at the settings of the share, since it could be as simple as correcting that to no longer allow SMBv1 and NTLMv1.

Please share your settings for both the share and the SMB service.

thanks for your reply.

FreeNAS Sharing - 4.jpg

FreeNAS Sharing - 5.jpg

FreeNAS Sharing - 6.jpg

FreeNAS Sharing - 14.jpg

FreeNAS Sharing - 15.jpg

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, so you have "only allow guest access" ticked, so if you're trying to authenticate as anything other than guest, you won't be able to access the share.

Perhaps we can start with that and see where that takes us.

Did you do anything on the share or dataset to set permissions to anything other than guest yet?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

I would not recommend using SMB1, but enabling guest access via group policy as outlined in the first article should do the trick. This is most probably not a FreeNAS problem at all ...

sretalla