dell ucs70 sas cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeB

Contributor
It's become clear to me that the hardware I'm using isn't powerful enough for what I'm using my freenas server for.
Mainly plex and off site backups that require encryption etc are swamping the cpu with load averages around 15.0 when trying playing movies (transcoding) which just don't play.

I'll be adding a HomerunHD network box to it later this year for tv dvr further loading up the cpu.

So I bought a dell r610 server as a donor for 2x xeon e5-2650 v3 ( iirc ) and I've build a new atx server with 8 HDDs.

The mobo (Asus z10pa-d8) has an Intel c612 raid controller which I think cannot do hba mode so I've bought a genuine Intel m1015 card from a server recycling company and I will flash it to IT mode.

The dell donor server has 2x dell ucs70 sas cards in it.

Can there be used with Freenas? Or should I sell them?

The donor also has 4x 300GB 10k drives so I plan on using two in mirror raid to store the plex database, making seeking images possible and generally speeding up plex, then selling the remaining server bits on eBay (2x psu, 2x sas drives, perc controller and mobo, case).

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The dell donor server has 2x dell ucs70 sas cards in it.

Can there be used with Freenas? Or should I sell them?
I looked at the FreeBSD 11.1 hardware compatibility list and did not find
the Dell UCS 70 cards so they will not work with FreeNAS.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
I see some document online telling that Dell PowerEdge 6Gbps SAS Controller is based on LSI SAS2008 chips, so if that is it, and unless Dell did something stupid like custom PCI IDs, they may just work with mps(4) driver. At least I would try.

Status
Not open for further replies.