Dell r720xd setup overview/goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirror

Cadet
So I have an aging storage PC running with a Raid 6 array. I have finally decided to move to a new platform after a few issues with the motherboard and case.

I'm going to run with the following server:

Dell r720xd
Dual Xeon E5-2630
32GB DDR3
H710p
Dual 750W PSUs

Since I decided to go with FreeNAS and will be replacing the H710p card. I think I will be going with these that I saw posted in another thread: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-H220-6G...:USPSPriorityMailSmallFlatRateBox!30301!US!-1 . I'm also looking to add at least another 32GB of memory to the system.

My initial setup would be a single SSD possibly an old Samsung 820 64GB for the OS and a (6) x 3TB array in a Raidz2 or Raidz3 config. I will be adding another smaller array possibly (6) x 2TB drives.

The goal with this is to create an array for my digital media and files along with a regular backup/snapshot of my important data from the local array along with our connected devices. I will also be looking to setup the ability to stream (films, music etc.) to all my pc's and devices.

Looking for comments and feedback on components I am using and possible alternatives. I will be receiving the server on Saturday so I will have better details on specific models/part codes for everything shortly.

dir_d

Explorer
Well first figure out if you want to go FN native or virtualized, personally i went native but many others go virtualized. LSI 9207-8i is what i use in my R720xd. I would max the ram if you could or budget for a slog device if you are going to be doing alot of writes.

mirror

Cadet
Thank you for the responses.

See the following threads on how to configure a Dell R720xd. These are for running ESXi with FreeNAS as a VM, but the HBA and cables will be the same.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...720xd-h310-mini-or-esxi-vm.64239/#post-460175
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/storage-controller-suggestions.68451/#post-469066

Been reading through these threads and getting a handle on the journey I am beginning. I think running a hypervisor is definitely something I will look to do in the future so I will be researching ESXi and others. Also great info for the basics of what I have and knowing it potential.

I have the same setup as you mentioned (my LSI 9207-8i is en route) in the second thread, so I will be grabbing one each of the cables you listed. It looks like they have the correct right angle connectors I need for this chassis.

Well first figure out if you want to go FN native or virtualized, personally i went native but many others go virtualized. LSI 9207-8i is what i use in my R720xd. I would max the ram if you could or budget for a slog device if you are going to be doing a lot of writes.

I'm researching FN native vs vm, not really sure what my best and workable option is for this build. I think maxing out the RAM right now is not in the budget so I would probably be looking at a slog device.

Currently waiting for the extra hdd trays, hdds and a few other accessories for the chassis.

dir_d

Explorer
If you are only using the machine as a storage server then you dont need a SLOG. That is how im using mine now but i do have the RAM maxed with 16gig RDimms for a total 384 Gigs. I run a couple Windows server 2012R2 VMs in byhve and it runs the VMs fine for what i need.

mirror

Cadet
@neb50 Hmm, after looking at the picture of the HP cable again the connector is actually the reverse of what I would need for the second run. How did you route these cables in your r720xd? Could you share some pics?

If you are only using the machine as a storage server then you don't need a SLOG. That is how im using mine now but i do have the RAM maxed with 16gig RDimms for a total 384 Gigs. I run a couple Windows server 2012R2 VMs in byhve and it runs the VMs fine for what i need.

With the small research I have been able to do it looks like the cost of a SLOG might be a bit better than running max ram. Going with the SLOG I think I would add ram over time and eventually be at a level I would be comfortable with in performance. I honestly can't say I would not welcome the performance in writing and I'm not sure how deep i.e. nutty I will be getting with using this as a backup and data transfer system.

It's funny I didn't think i would be this excited to get this up and running along with getting a deeper understanding of this systems capabilities.

neb50

Dabbler
I tried using 2 of the HP cables on my setup with the 3.5" bays and only the SAS-B one was long enough to reach and switched the SAS-A cable out with this one.
Dell M246M SAS CABLE FOR DELL POWEREDGE R610 R710

You should be able to use 2 of these and skip the HP one.

mirror

Cadet
I tried using 2 of the HP cables on my setup with the 3.5" bays and only the SAS-B one was long enough to reach and switched the SAS-A cable out with this one.
Dell M246M SAS CABLE FOR DELL POWEREDGE R610 R710

You should be able to use 2 of these and skip the HP one.
Great thanks! I forgot to ask in what slot are you running the lsi card?

neb50

Dabbler
It is in the top 1/2 height slot. It should also work in one of the two center full height slots with the cables listed, but I haven't tried it there.

mirror

Cadet
Thanks again for all the recommendations. I should be receiving the sas cables that @neb50 recommended. I needed to get a third one because the cable that came with the flexbay backplane was not compatible with my chassis. The seller insisted it was pulled from an r720xd but the sas cable would not fit my server.

I'm starting with 6 WD Red 4TB drives for my main array and my old Samsung 820 64GB ssd for the install/applications. I have the 2 3TB drives that came with the server, along with another 3TB from a friend. Not sure how to utilize these yet.

@HoneyBadger Thanks for that insight. I'm on the fence about getting more memory now. I'm already stretching the budget and figure I can get the system up and running on what I have currently.

Last edited:

mirror

Cadet
So I finally got the system up and running, all drives are available. I'm doing some research on booting from a drive connected to the flexbay. The 3TB that my friend gave me isn't recognized, seeing if the drive is possibly faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.