Dell r510 not booting

Hjelmseth

Cadet
So I’ve got a second hand r510 12bay and the first problem was that it had a h700 raid card, then e purchased a pre-flashed h200 and started installing truenas scale on the ssd in the internal slot, but when I’m trying too boot the system says it’s unavailable

Any idea on what’s wrong?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Your boot drive is best connected to an MoBo SATA port. Is that how you connected it?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm still not sure what this internal slot is, but in any case just use the on-board SATA ports.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So what's the exact error and what steps have you taken so far?

Hjelmseth

Cadet
IMG_1745.jpeg
This is what I get in UEFI boot manager, I had the same message displayed when connected to the HBA

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
And what options do you have in the system firmware setup menu?

So I’ve got a second hand r510 12bay and the first problem was that it had a h700 raid card, then e purchased a pre-flashed h200 and started installing truenas scale on the ssd in the internal slot, but when I’m trying too boot the system says it’s unavailable

Are the data cables for the HDD plugged in the correct way?

Without knowing what hardware you're using and how far you are in the install process it's pretty hard to figure out where the problem is.

Forum Rules

It's important to remember that hardware information is extremely important when diagnosing problems so please make sure to include this information if you need help troubleshooting a problem. This includes:

• Motherboard make and model
  • CPU make and model
  • RAM quantity
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives
  • Hard disk controllers
  • Network cards
It can be convenient to add hardware information to your signature (click your username ‣ Signature). Remember to update that signature when your hardware changes. See: Signatures and spoilers

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems

Hello @Hjelmseth

It's likely that your "pre-flashed H200" does not include either the legacy or UEFI option ROM necessary for booting. It should be possible to flash this "on top of" the existing firmware without changes though. You can find some instructions in this resource guide:

Instructions and details should be under the heading (Ctrl+F) of FLASHABLE SOFTWARES ("BOOT ROM/BIOS" AND "FIRMWARE")

If this is a 12+2 bay R510, the onboard SATA ports are also disabled in the Dell BIOS/firmware by design. I can't find any mention of BIOS modifications or ways to re-enable them.

Hjelmseth

Cadet
Hello @Hjelmseth

It's likely that your "pre-flashed H200" does not include either the legacy or UEFI option ROM necessary for booting. It should be possible to flash this "on top of" the existing firmware without changes though. You can find some instructions in this resource guide:

Instructions and details should be under the heading (Ctrl+F) of FLASHABLE SOFTWARES ("BOOT ROM/BIOS" AND "FIRMWARE")

If this is a 12+2 bay R510, the onboard SATA ports are also disabled in the Dell BIOS/firmware by design. I can't find any mention of BIOS modifications or ways to re-enable them.
i will check this out, was able to boot the server from a usb