Dell PE2950 support

Status
Not open for further replies.

mballou

Cadet
FreeNAS 8.0.1 RC is not seeing any of my drives to create a volume. I'm running a Dell PE 2950 with 6 1TB SATA drives. I originally had 8.0.0 running ok, but it would only see the drives if I create a RAID using the Dell BIOS. Now that I upgraded to 8.0.1 RC, it doesn't see the drives from the RAID, or as single SATA drives.

any suggestions?

mballou

Cadet
I take it back now. Something must have gone wrong during the upgrade, because it wouldn't see the drive. I reinstalled FreeNAS without upgrading, and now it sees the single RAID drive I created in the Dell BIOS.

Any reason the SATA drives are not seen individually when they are not configured in the Dell RAID?

it's the Dell RAID card's responsibility to pass those off. you should read up on the card and how to configure it.

louisk

Patron
If you want to use the PERC and have individual drives show up, probably the easiest way is it create a bunch of RAID0 single spindle volumes. I've been running with this type of config for quite a while. Works fine.

mballou

Cadet
Thanks guys. I originally had it configured as a bunch of RAID 0 drives, and that was working with 8.0. Something during the upgrade from 8.0 to 8.0.1 RC must have caused a problem. To get the drives to show up again, I reinstalled FreeNAS without keeping the configuration and everything was good again.

Status
Not open for further replies.