Deleting files, drive keeps filling up?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csmac3144

Cadet
This seems like a dumb noob question and I guess it is, but I cannot figure out how the recycle bin works on Freenas 8. I assume it's a recycle bin issue, because I've been moving large amounts of files around by first copying to the new location (on a new ZFS volume) and then deleting the files once the copy is complete. Problem is the drive just keeps filling as though the deletion never happened. I checked my CIF shares and the "export recycle bin" option is not checked. I saw some other threads that mentioned a .recycle folder (freenas 7?) but I cannot see this in Windows when I allow showing of hidden files. I emptied the windows recycle bin of course -- feel like I've tried everything, but also like there's a simple answer I'm missing...

Help?

csmac3144

Cadet
Yes. I turned off the job for now, but it had created a few hundred. It was set for 60 minutes, which is probably way too frequent.

csmac3144

Cadet
I see. That makes sense. So will these snapshots automatically be removed once they get stale enough, or do I have to manually delete them? (Thanks for your responses, Matthew).

-- Steve

Durkatlon

Patron
If you turned off the autosnap they may not be removed. You can go into ssh and remove them by hand.

# zfs list -t snapshot

Then

# zfs destroy poolname@snapshotname

to delete each snapshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.