Dedup vdev replace standard SSD with smaller Optane?

cwathan

Cadet
I've been looking around for an answer to this specific question. Is it possible to migrate the deduce special device from a 1TB SSD to a smaller, say 384GB, Optane drive? My deduce is presently only ~45GB in size. However, I would prefer to move it to an Optane with a consistent performance profile and much greater durability. Yes, I would likely mirror the Optane for the chance of a controller, or some other, failure on the drive. Is it possible to make such a migration or am I stuck at 1TB and thus my only hope would be to migrate to 1TB+ enterprise grade SSDs for greater durability?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Once you introduce a pool-integral VDEV, the only way to make that smaller would be a rebuild of the pool.

You could make it bigger by replacing all drives in that VDEV with larger ones, but you can't go in the other direction.

cwathan

Cadet
Thank you for the confirmation. It is not the answer I was hoping for but, it is the answer I expected. So, I get to spend $7k on Optaan drives for dedup or spend much less for DC grade SSDs. The choice is a no brainer.

Next build, I’ll be sure to utilize Optane from the start. It really is the perfect option for consistent high speed data transfer and durability. They are just pricey when you’re still not turning a profit.

Thanks again!