Dead Mini?

CINNUR

Cadet
Hello All,

Well my FreeNAS Mini went unresponsive to access so I directly connected a keyboard and monitor and am seeing nothing on the screen. There is no boot sequence on power up, just fans running and LEDs light on my four drives and the power indicator.
To me that sounds like a dead system. Hopefully someone here disagrees and has a suggestion to check?

Thanks all!

Redcoat

MVP
Join the club. Take a look at the thread below and the other threads linked in its post #2. You'll see that there's quite a history.

Are there any green LED's lit up on the mobo? There should be a blinking heartbeat for the BMC towards the rear on the left hand side and a solid green power indication just in front of the PCIE slot on the LHS. If you don't have those there may be PS issue, though the fans and drives running suggest it's OK. I did just have my Mini's original PS go bad with an intermittent fault.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ble-even-though-powered-on.61245/#post-435323

CINNUR

Cadet
Thanks Redcoat.
I do have those two active LEDs you specified, so I guess the the mobo has failed in some manner.
So these units have a rep for failure?

Redcoat

MVP
So these units have a rep for failure?
Read the referred material - depending on the bios version there was a watchdog issue, easily averted if you knew about it, and, much more serious, an Intel Atom chipset fault.
The latter caused extended warranties to go into effect - you should contact iXsystems and find out if yours is still covered. Take a look at the info here https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/library/freenas-mini-motherboard-clock-signal-issue/
In the same library there is a note about the watchdog issue, too.
Good luck - let us know what happens.

CINNUR

Cadet
Hello All,

iX states that I am out of even the extended warranty, but acknowledge that it is likely the CPU issue.
They are trying to have me talk to sales for a replacement mini.
Is anyone able to recommend a mobo that I can slip in to replace this problem board?

CINNUR

Cadet
Now that I am thinking about it, I had a problem with the satadom about a year or so ago, it would have been nice if iX support mentioned this possible issue to me when I would have still been under warranty.

CINNUR

Cadet
Well, after several traded emails with iX, it appears they will come through for me and will send a replacement mobo.
If it all works out, that is top notch customer service!

Redcoat

MVP
That's great news! Well done both parties.