Datasets vs folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

fakefox

Cadet
Just wanted to clarify if I got this right. The only difference between creating datasets vs just sharing the whole volume, using subfolders instead of datasets is that you can assign quota/reserved space to datasets? And that you can change permissions for datasets through the webGUI whilst using regular subfolders you have to use the console to change permissions?

ProtoSD

MVP
Datasets are like a mini ZFS container, they can have separate snapshots too. They're almost like have a partition in ZFS except they're part of the main directory structure.

ThomasDK81

Dabbler
I've too been wondering about datasets. I wanna use all the features of ZFS :)

But I don't see any benefits in using datasets vs. folders.
I can easily use folders and make permission and share them. I have to use console for many other things.

I have the feeling that there is something I don't see, to make the pros list bigger when using datasets.
Like fakefox, from what it sounds like :)

PosGuy

Dabbler
This is the pros list as far as I see it -

Permissions via GUI
Quotas
Snapshots

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
just found out the hard way. if you have a folder within your share, dont create a dataset named the exact same thing.... glad it was only my test set up...lol

guermantes

Patron
just found out the hard way. if you have a folder within your share, dont create a dataset named the exact same thing.... glad it was only my test set up...lol
Please excuse digging up this old thread. I can intuitively see why it would not be a good idea, but may I ask more concretely: What happened?

danb35

Hall of Famer
What happened?
Well, FreeNAS now has mechanisms in place to try to prevent you from doing this. But if you're able to, what happens is that you can't see the data in the directory until you remove or rename the dataset.

Status
Not open for further replies.