data migration / pool

phier

Patron
Hello,
whats the best most safe/reliable option to migrate data (whole pool/all datasets) from the old freenas to the brand new truenas? I am not sure if rsync is good way to go? But also i dont want to have old datasets with their sizes (defined on the Freenas) after migration on the new Truenas. So i am bit confused.

thanks

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
I am even more confused. Do you want old datasets or not? If you do, then create a recursive snapshot on source and use ZFS replication. If with sizes you mean quotas, etc., then you can remove them on receiving side after replication. Theoretically it is possible to not replicate certain options, but I am not sure it is doable via the Web UI,

phier

Patron
@mav@ i dont need structure of the old datasets... i just need to move data.
is snapshot required? i dont write to these data. i can do via console.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You can only replicate snapshots, not live datasets without a snapshot. When finished you can delete the snapshot on the receiving end.
The dataset structure will be replicated, too. Snapshots and replication work per dataset. But when finished you can move things to folders and delete the emptied datasets if you prefer.

phier

Patron
got it now,
need to find how to do that .. via ssh ideally - ie to execute that replication. no clue right now what is important etc.

averagedad

Cadet
Hi all, just a quick one, I have a truenas scale server running with the following drives

1 x 2TB sata HDD
1 x 1TB sata HDD

Both drives are being used for 1 pool which is my household main data and plex data storage, I have purchased 2 x 4TB drives, is there a way of copying the data from the original setup to my new drive setup, I only have the one server to do this with and I do have a 4tb ssd usb drive, so can I send all the data to the SSD as a backup, then restore this data to the new 8TB setup I will have in the server, if this is possible can someone please guide me through the steps.

Many thanks