Custom installation image

Status
Not open for further replies.

crom

Cadet
Hi, after some reading I understood that anything that is installed on a running FreeNAS installation will be put in jails on a separate location.
I also read about the issues with virtualbox and thought that I could create a custom installation image that contains a virtualbox installation. I don't need a fancy GUI, just the command line utilities that ship with the virtualbox installation.

Could this be feasable at all and is there some kind of development guide to get started with modifying the base system?

Cheers
Sebastian

paleoN

Wizard

crom

Cadet
So if I use a nightly and install virtualbox inside a jail there should be no issues?

Edit: Or I just pull the release tagged revision, add this line myself and have a stable system with this functionality.

paleoN

Wizard
So if I use a nightly and install virtualbox inside a jail there should be no issues?
Actually, I don't know if it's been tested yet, and there haven't been any public nightlies since before that commit.

Edit: Or I just pull the release tagged revision, add this line myself and have a stable system with this functionality.
That assumes release is stable, that commit is the only relevant one and it doesn't need any additional changes. I would build from source for the testing or wait for the nightlies to resume. That way you and the devs will be on the same page.

Status
Not open for further replies.