Currently unreadable (pending) sectors stopping boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Cooper

Dabbler
Hi There,

I keep getting problems with a couple of my drives. When I boot up my server freenas stops because I have the following error:

DanceNAS1 smartd[1591]: Device: /dev/da5 [SAT], 473 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

So I shut down the server and removed the offending drive and restarted only to find another drive has a similar error:

DanceNAS1 smartd[1591]: Device: /dev/da2 [SAT], 2 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

So again I removed the offending drive and restart the sever. This time boot went fine however I need to figure out what is wrong with those drives and retrieve the data, what's the best way of doing this and also what is the reason for these errors?

I'm using freenas 8.0.4

Thanks,
Bob

D

dlavigne

Sounds like bad drives. UFS or ZFS? Which type of RAID or RAIDZ?

solarisguy

Guru
As somebody with no experience might read the thread.

One should not remove the hard drives in order to just not have an error message...

In the above case, if the errors were not coming from the filesystem yet, one should at least verify the backups and replace the first disk with a known good one and restore the RAID...

Bob Cooper

Dabbler
Hi dlavigne, Yes I think it's a bad drive. It's zfs just mirrored.

Solarisguy... I agree that I should not have had to remove the drives but the system would not boot with the drives in. Is there a way to make the os boot with that error? (i'm the guy with no experience by the way :)

Thanks,

Bob

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Start by telling us more about your system, as asked...
Then we can tell you how much or how little you're fscked.

Bob Cooper

Dabbler
Hi Ericloewe,

My system is Freenas 8.0.4
I have 12 volumes on this server, each volume consists of 2 mirrored ZFS hard drives
9 of these volumes are 2 x 2TB drives 3 are 2 x 4TB drives
I don't know what type of raid they are, how do I find this out?

Anything else you need to know?

Thanks,
Bob

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If they're mirrored, they're not RAID. Proper terminology is important.

Post the output of zpool status - please use pastebin.

EDIT: Stupid Windows spellchecker needs to read Cyberjock's guide.

Last edited:

Bob Cooper

Dabbler
OK good to know...

Forgive me for being a total noob but how do I get the spool status and what is pastebin?

I know how to access the server via ssh using the terminal on my mac but I'm not too familiar with the commands.

Thanks,

Bob

gpsguy

SSH into the server from your Mac. Once you login, execute "zpool status" (without the quotes).

Take the output from that command and paste the contents into http://pastebin.com/. Post the pastbin URL here, so we can look at your information.

I know how to access the server via ssh using the terminal on my mac but I'm not too familiar with the commands.

JackShine

Dabbler
I think you had a double fail.

u cant really get your data back.

If u had raidz2, well u cant.

Hope u had a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.