CUPS & Samba

Status
Not open for further replies.

trymes

Cadet
Perhaps this is more of a plugin item, as this isn't 100% within the scope of the project's aims, but that approach seems like it would result in a lot of duplication. Seeing as how we already have an ADS integrated SMB/CIFS server right out of the box (really well done, guys!), I thought it would be nice to have the print server portions of that software up and working as well.

So far, I have been able to pkg_add -r cups and get it up and working, and foomatic, hpijs and other accompanying bits are just another few commands away. I have not been able to accomplish yet is samba sharing of the printers, but I still have a few tricks up my sleeve there.

In the end, it sure would be nice to be able to add a few printer shares in the GUI to go along with the disk shares.

Is this something that is on the list for future development, or has it been ruled out? I see this open ticket: http://support.freenas.org/ticket/333 , but it looks like it is somewhat orphaned.

My apologies if this has been answered somewhere else, but I did not find all that much out there.

Tom

logan54

Explorer
Hello trymes,
I installed cups manually like you, but I think we wont see cups integration in 8-series FreeNAS.

cheers
logan

Status
Not open for further replies.