Creating NFS Shares for ESXi Datastore

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbjoe

Cadet
I'm trying to test VMWare VSphere 5 and ESXi 5 using FreeNAS 8 NFS storage.

I was able to create the NFS shared storage on my FreeNAS server, however I cannot get my ESXi server (via Vsphere 5) to see the NFS share and mount it as a datastore.

The error I'm getting makes it seem like permissions are a problem and I've read that you have to link your ESXi root user to FreeNAS... but I'm not really sure how to do that.

I've also not found any good resources on FreeNAS NFS and ESXi... it's mostly setups for iSCSI. Can anyone offer some help in using an NFS from FreeNAS and mounting it on ESXi?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi mbjoe,

What version of FreeNAS? Any errors showing up in the vmkernel.log file on ESXi? Login to the ESXi box & tail the vmkernel.log file then try to connect to the NFS mount.

I have NFS connecting to ESXi, but I didn't have to map any users, I just changed the permissions to the shared volume to "777" and it works

There was a problem with NFS in some of the earlier nightlies...are you running one of those?

-Will

mbjoe

Cadet
survive, I'm not sure what version build I'm running exactly since the system is at work, but I will check Monday morning. I don't think it's the latest so I may have an older build with NFS problems.

Would you be able to do a quick summary of the steps you used to create the NFS shares and setup ESXi? I figure it's pretty easy and I "think" I'm doing it right, but like I said I can't find any good guides out there for ESXi and FreeNAS NFS. I'd really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.