Corral or 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmannyr

Contributor
I'm confused. I have 9.10.2-U2 currently and was waiting on Corral finish up. Now there is a 11? Jeez! Is there something wrong with Corral that there is 11 now? Which should upgrade to?

thanks

gpsguy

Stux

MVP
Corral is an ex-parrot.

Stux

MVP
Are there any differences between 9.10.3 and 11? In the article (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/important-announcement-regarding-freenas-corral.53502/) they do not mention version 11, only 9.10.3. When will it be released 9.10.3. in may? Or is the v11 the new 9.10.3?!
I'm confiused too, sorry :/

9.10.3 was renamed to 11 after that post. The biggest feature in 9.10.3 vs 9.10.2 was FreeBSD-11 (same as Corral) so this was a good decision IMO, and resynchronizes FreeNAS versioning with FreeBSD.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Are there any differences between 9.10.3 and 11? In the article (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/important-announcement-regarding-freenas-corral.53502/) they do not mention version 11, only 9.10.3. When will it be released 9.10.3. in may? Or is the v11 the new 9.10.3?!
I'm confiused too, sorry :/
FreeNAS 9.10 is the current stable version, and probably the one you want to use. You can download it at www.freenas.org/download-freenas-release.

Formerly, versions of FreeNAS tracked with the version of FreeBSD on which they were based... except for version 9.10, which is based on FreeBSD 10. To adhere to the old naming scheme, it should have been named FreeNAS 10, but for some reason iXsystems changed the version number after the decimal point instead.

FreeNAS Corral (also known as FreeNAS 10 at one time) is now defunct, as pointed out by @gpsguy above. It ended up being a dead end and you definitely do not want to use it, as it will not be supported in the future.

FreeNAS 11 has not been released yet and you shouldn't use it with important data. Again, you should use FreeNAS 9.10 for now, unless you are experimenting or wish to help with identifying bugs and doing general Beta testing.

kaspa

Cadet
Hello, thanks for the fast answers. now I think I understood. i`m actual running FreeNAS-9.10.1-U4, so I should first update to FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3 and wait for the final version of Freenas 11, right?
But I actual could also update to FreeNAS 11 STABLE over the menu, my English is not so good, but I thought STABLE meens it is the final version and no beta or RC?

gpsguy

Unless you have a test server, I would wait until FreeNAS 11 is released. It's scheduled for May 22nd.

Revisit the forums before you upgrade. See how other users have fared with the upgrade, etc. Then decide when you want to upgrade.

Are there any features in 11.0 that are a must have for you now? If not, be patient and let other users test the released version.

danb35

Hall of Famer
version 9.10, which is based on FreeBSD 10. To adhere to the old naming scheme, it should have been named FreeNAS 10, but for some reason iXsystems changed the version number after the decimal point instead.
The "some reason" was that "FreeNAS 10" was already in development and was going to be the Next Big Thing, so they couldn't call the Same Old Thing FreeNAS 10. And then they renamed FN10 to Corral on release, rendering that two-step entirely unnecessary.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm confused. I have 9.10.2-U2 currently and was waiting on Corral finish up. Now there is a 11? Jeez! Is there something wrong with Corral that there is 11 now? Which should upgrade to?

thanks
Honest question: How can we make the announcements section more of a must read?

The thread is posted there and there are links to that all over the forum.

And then they renamed FN10 to Corral on release
Well, that is because it took so long that it was released on FreeBSD 11. That is development hell.

Stux

MVP
Guessing that's not the only reason it was renamed Corral

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Honest question: How can we make the announcements section more of a must read?

The thread is posted there and there are links to that all over the forum.
corral section.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.