Core Jails don't get network after migrate to VM

kaptewn

Cadet
Hi,

I have just migrated my Truenas Core install from "bare metal" to Hyper-V and everything has worked really well, except for Jails and plugins...

My Jails (nextcloud, Heimdall, Plex) won't get network connection whatever I do (I use the correct NIC). If I leave it on DHCP the address for Plex will just be "Http://DHCP:32400/web" and the same with Heimdall.

When I set Static IP the Jails start OK but they get no network either way and my router won't find them.

Have I missed something?

//Kaptewn
(English is not my first language)

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
For Hyper-V, did you create an external switch, and then put the VM's vNIC on the external switch?

kaptewn

Cadet
For Hyper-V, did you create an external switch, and then put the VM's vNIC on the external switch?
Yes! for example, my SAMBA share worked fine from the get-go. And I can access my Truenas GUI from any device on the network.

kaptewn

Cadet
I managed to get plex to work by selecting "NAT" instead of "DHCP" in jail settings, and setting NAT port to TCP 34200 and 34200.
It gets the same IP as Truenas, but is accessible by port, so i "Guess" its fine, I would rather it gets a different IP altogether.

Nextcloud won't work that way, seeing as it does not use a port to connect through URL so I just end up at the Truenas GUI when I try to connect. Would like a completely different IP there too, but I can not get the DHCP setting to work.

kaptewn

Cadet
I found that I needed a network bridge within Truenas. When setting that Up, the "vnet_default_interface" in the jail only has "auto" and "none". Should the bridge and the nic not show there?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Set the vnet_default_interface to "none" and set interfaces to e.g. "vnet0:bridge0".

kaptewn

Cadet
Set the vnet_default_interface to "none" and set interfaces to e.g. "vnet0:bridge0".
Thank you!

But whatever I do the dhcp input just says "dhcp (not working)."

I have setup a bridge (bridge1) and connected my main interface (hn0) to it. Tried both DHCP and static IP in the Plex jail. Set interfaces to "vnet0:bridge1" as you said.

DHCP still wont work at all, and static IP gets no connection either. I'm quite new to truenas, but this should work according to google. There was never a problem on bare metal, seeing as I didn't need the bridge at all.

Is there a setting I might have missed?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Ah .. so this is virtualised? Prmiscuous mode and MAC address spoofing permitted in thy hypervisor's VM settings?

kaptewn

Cadet
Ah .. so this is virtualised? Prmiscuous mode and MAC address spoofing permitted in thy hypervisor's VM settings?
OMFG Thank you so so much!!!!

The thing I had missed was MAC address spoofing. Now it seems to work!

Again Thank you very much!