copying from windows server to freenas slow, but when i copy from windows 7 its fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

christiaanj2

Cadet
Hi Guys,,
if i had to copy 10GB of data to the nas its very slow... it starts off 19mins then 30 mins then 60 mins then 200 mins then its disappears.. so it dont display the time left of the copying... it can stay like that forever if i leave it...:mad:
but if i would to copy from windows 7 to Nas its fine.. i dont understand...:confused:
i have try to diffrent types of hardware and still the same results..
i dont think its a hardware problem it seems more like compatibility problem with server 2003...
i did try some few tweaks on the web but still no luck..:(
i did read up on something to do about the NT protocol on the SMBA/CIF,
im am running test servers at home that is mixof windows 2003/2008/2012/7/XP and mac os..
could you guys help me out i would love to uses your product..
thanks soo much
Regards C

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Re: copying from windows server to freenas slow, but when i copy from windows 7 its f

Ok, you may be seeing the difference in speed between SMB(1) and SMB2. Back in XP and older they used SMB1. It was extremely chatty and not very efficient. With the release of Vista SMB2 was introduced, which allowed for MUCH faster speeds, MUCH lower chattiness, and other goodies.

Back when I ran XP and Server 2003 the absolute best I could hope for was about 30-40MB/sec. So anytime I had to copy a lot of data I'd do several different operations at the same time to max out my Gb LAN. As soon as I upgraded both machines to OSes that supported SMB2 I was able to hit the limits of what the hard drives could do (80-90MB/sec). FreeNAS supports SMB2 unless you force it not to, but Windows Server 2003, XP, and all versions of Windows that are older do not have any SMB2 support. FreeNAS should work fine, but you can expect much poorer performance.

You didn't post any hardware details for anything, but that's my first guess as to what you may be seeing.

christiaanj2

Cadet
Re: copying from windows server to freenas slow, but when i copy from windows 7 its f

well first off i tried with intel Quad core, 4GB of Ram..2TB sata.. then with a small mobile intel 1.5 Atom... 512GB of ram... i know that the specs on the mobile dont meet.. but it works fine with windows 7.... so i was not far off wrong? so is there away for me to set that it uses smb1?

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Uh, you are confusing me. If your Windows Server is Atom based that would explain everything by itself. Atoms are horribly underpowered in every way.

ProtoSD

MVP

Uhhhh, it's not the Atom, Atom's work quite well, I have one.....

It's the RAM, 512MB???? even 2MB is below the minimum requirements. Why do people keep wasting our time thinking THEY'RE the exeception to the minimum requirements?? :mad:

cyberjock

Inactive Account

I thought he was saying when he copied from a Win7 machine with Quad core it was fast, but with 2003 Server and the Atom it was slow...

And welcome to exceptionalism.. nothing new here.

christiaanj2

Cadet

lol no guys thats the specs of my Nas drive... lol:rolleyes: my windows 7/servers are running on a Xen server box
here is my system spec of Nas / Xenserver
Nas : atom 512MB 2TB sata /Quad core 4GB 2TB sata
Windows 7/2003/2008 Xenserver : Quad core 8GB x2 2TB 6GB sata raid..
ohh and im running on gigabit network
even if i had to uses my note book with windows 7 it copy's fine... :)
so anything with windows 7 up works fine with the nas in terms of coping /speed but anything to do with server 2003 it copies but then its 10m,30m,40m,130m,200mins then its blank and can copy alll nite and still the progress bar wont move lol:confused:
thats why i think it has something to do with smb1/smb2 protocol?

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Nas : atom 512MB 2TB sata /Quad core 4GB 2TB sata

That's exactly our point. If you read the manual, look at the FAQ, or look at the newbie guide I wrote they all say you need at least 6GB of RAM. The manual gives the thumbrule of 6GB of RAM + 1GB of RAM per TB of storage space.

As for identifying the issue, upgrade your NAS appropriately, then you have a chance at trying to identifying the issue. Since you aren't even at the minimum specs there's no way to know if that's the cause of your problems or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.