Convert Stripe to Mirror

mjpatera

Cadet
While initially setting up my FreeNAS, I had a few old drives that I setup as a stripe to give me more space to play with a PLEX server. This was only for testing at the time but has grown into my main PLEX storage with about 50 movies. It's now time to upgrade the drives but I want to use a mirrored pair instead of the strip. Is there a way I can replace the stripe with the mirror without having to create a new volume and copy everything over? I just replaced my other mirrored volume and it was very simple, just selected a drive, click replace, then select the new drive. I was hoping there would be an easy way to replace the striped volume as well. My current box has 2 spare power and data cables so I can have all of them running at the same time if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Mark

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes. The catch is that the GUI doesn't support this yet. Since you probably don't want to wait for 11.1, I recommend you search the forums for the step-by-step guide to doing this with the Unix shell.

Stux

MVP
While initially setting up my FreeNAS, I had a few old drives that I setup as a stripe to give me more space to play with a PLEX server. This was only for testing at the time but has grown into my main PLEX storage with about 50 movies. It's now time to upgrade the drives but I want to use a mirrored pair instead of the strip. Is there a way I can replace the stripe with the mirror without having to create a new volume and copy everything over? I just replaced my other mirrored volume and it was very simple, just selected a drive, click replace, then select the new drive. I was hoping there would be an easy way to replace the striped volume as well. My current box has 2 spare power and data cables so I can have all of them running at the same time if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Mark

Fairly easy to do, but not in the GUI yet. Should be. But isn't.

Instructions: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/create-zfs-mirror-by-adding-a-drive.14880/

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Should be. But isn't.
Yup. First thing I did when Corral died (when I finally had a quiet 5 minute break from Corralpocalypse) was to file the feature request for this.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

mgd

Dabbler
Thanks for the pointer. A pity this is pushed forward forever.

felippe

Dabbler
Is this feature implemeted in TrueNAS-12.0-U1.1?

I am currently getting used with TrueNAS. The server has only one 2TB HDD and another one is on its way from CCL Computers.

One data pool <- one vdev <- one disk.

Another vdev will be created using the second HDD. Instead of inscrising the ZFS pool's capacity by striping this new vdev to the existing one, is it possible, using the Web GUI, to mirror the existing vdev to the new one?

sretalla