Constant reboot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreded

Explorer
So I had a power failure a few days back and since then freenas keeps rebooting.. I did a ZFS scrub without issue and Memtest86 for 6 passes also replaced the USB key with a fresh load of Freenas initially it was rebooting once or twice a day now it does it every 30seconds

When it does a kernel panic i get screens and screens of text passing so fast I cant read any of it... and since the docs say there is no way to have the kernel panics write to disk I dont know what to do..

The only indication the logs give is:

Fatal double fault
rip = 0xffffffff80790167
rsp = 0x20
rbp = 0xffffff800024fb50
cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
panic: double fault
cpuid = 0
KDB: enter: panic

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
Do you have a syslog dataset? What's in /var/log?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
99% of the time this is a hardware problem. Can you post your hardware specs?

I'd recommend you keep the server off. You don't want to damage your pool with these constant kernel panics.

Dreded

Explorer
I have indeed left the server off but im not terribly worried about the data its just Tv Shows and the sort, also I have a backup of 95% of it...

The System is a AMD X2 245 with 8GB DDR3 Ram on a MSI 760GM-E51 using the onboard SATA controller chipset on that board is the AMD 760G.

I built the system about 3 weeks ago and it was running without issue before the power outtage and I have now had it running Prime95 for 1.5 days without issue, there are no blown caps or anything all the HD's pass smart long test. The HD's are new WD 3tb Red Drives.

It was on a battery backup which unfortunately failed(despite my testing it to run for at least 10min 2 weeks ago) and I have replaced it with a new one as the old one holds no charge now.

And I do indeed have a syslog dataset which is where I copied the Double Fault message from.

When the kernel panics id say there is about 10-15 pages of white text that flashes by the screen to fast to read any of it before it resets.

Dreded

Explorer
Nobody has any suggestions of what to try?.. Tomorrow I am going to just rebuild the drives from scratch so hope someone can come up with some ideas of what to try.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't. Normally its a hardware failure and if you are a simple motherboard/CPU setup there aren't many options. Generally a CPU and RAM is fine if prime95 runs without errors. But that doesn't rule out the motherboard.

Dreded

Explorer
Ok, perhaps later today or tomorrow I will try the ZFS Array on a new Motherboard/CPU etc using same USB drive and see what happens... Stupid Computers ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok, perhaps later today or tomorrow I will try the ZFS Array on a new Motherboard/CPU etc using same USB drive and see what happens... Stupid Computers ;)

As long as your SATA controller and NIC are compatible, it should "just work" on bootup. You might have a different IP depending on your network configuration too.

Status
Not open for further replies.