SOLVED Constant messages in log about Samba 'local master browser', despite Local Master option being off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy_Dunlop

Cadet
When accessing CIFS shares on either of my windows PCs (Win7 & Win8.1) I get a constant stream of the following 2 messages every 5 to 10 minutes:

Samba name server FREENAS has stopped being a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet x.x.x.x

Samba name server FREENAS is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet x.x.x.x

It doesn't matter if I have the Local Master option in CIFS settings on or off. Server maximum protocol is SMB2. I had the deadlock issue with CIFS shares starting with 9.2.1.6 which is now resolved with 9.3, but back when my CIFS shares were working correctly in 9.2.1.5 and earlier I never had the constant stream of the above 2 messages in my log.

If this has been covered I apologize, I tried searching for the above issue and couldn't find anything from the recent past that appeared to be relevant.

Any ideas?

Fuzzy_Dunlop

Cadet

Thanks for your help! It appears like my Windows 8.1 machine was fighting with my FreeNAS machine over who was the master browser. I added the following registry key from the linked post on both my Windows 7 & 8.1 machines and it appears to have fixed the issue:

Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters" and add a new string labled "IsDomainMaster" and give it a value of "No".

Status
Not open for further replies.