Confused about that LSI card? Join the crowd ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just upgraded to 9.3.0.0 and it's complaining about my firmware level on my LSI adapter. I have P20 and the driver is P16. I don't see a P16 firmware level available for the 9207-8i. Has somebody been able to find one?
Check the archive section of LSI's website.

Z300M

Guru

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, you trade 35 bucks for having to crossflash. Take a pick.*

*SFF-8087 connector positioning is different, too.

star

Dabbler
Well, you trade 35 bucks for having to crossflash. Take a pick.*

*SFF-8087 connector positioning is different, too.

How "safe" is crossflashing? Is it supported?

What long-ish breakout cables should I go with (36in range)?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

star

Dabbler
Do any of these stand out as doable SATA controllers? Is there anything wrong with using SATA III hard disks with SATA II controllers?

Z300M

Guru
Well if the LSI is only $35 more... Is there any reason to go with the IBM card over the LSI card?
Yea, because the one to which you linked is cross flashed to IT mode P19, so you'll still have to reflash it to P16 to keep FreeNAS happy.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'd like to point out, for future readers, that:
  • Flashing IT/IR on an HBA such as an LSI SAS 9211 is supported by LSI and is absolutely straightforward.
  • Crossflashing a low-end SAS 2008-based RAID controller to IT mode is not endorsed by LSI but does work.
  • Both of the above options work.
  • Once in LSI SAS 9211 mode (whether the card came like that or was crossflashed) you will be expected to flash it to the version used by FreeNAS. As of right now, it's P16. It may change to P20 in the near future.

star

Dabbler
I'd like to point out, for future readers, that:
  • Flashing IT/IR on an HBA such as an LSI SAS 9211 is supported by LSI and is absolutely straightforward.
  • Crossflashing a low-end SAS 2008-based RAID controller to IT mode is not endorsed by LSI but does work.
  • Both of the above options work.
  • Once in LSI SAS 9211 mode (whether the card came like that or was crossflashed) you will be expected to flash it to the version used by FreeNAS. As of right now, it's P16. It may change to P20 in the near future.

Cool, I'm going with the LSI SAS9211-8i then. I like the location of the mini-SAS connectors better (and it can be found for around the same price as the IBM controller).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-Interna...475?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1a0198cb7b

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I going to lock this thread. Its a sticky, and its 17 pages long and clearly people aren't reading the thread and simply posting with 'my stuff is broke' and questions that have been hashed out literally dozens of times in the forum already. Not directly pointing fingers at anyone, but there isn't 17 pages worth of threads because people are reading before posting. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.