Confused about Jails and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

par

Explorer
  1. What is the latest "Release" for Jails, 11.2-RELEASE-p5 or 11.2-RELEASE(fetched)? If I try to edit a jail's release to the fetched version I get an error, so everything seems to be stuck on p5. I'm not sure what that is but I assume it's an updated version of the 11.2-RELEASE.
  2. How will I know if a Jail Release newer than 11.2-RELEASE-p5 becomes available?
  3. How will I know if a Plugin has a newer version available?
  4. What version is the Plex Plugin? Mine says N/A for the version.
  5. What exactly is the "Update" feature for Jails supposed to do? Does it update a Plugin? Or does it update a Release? Does it do anything with the pkg manager?
  6. Why does it instantly say successful if you try to Update while a Jail is already running? The wiki says to shut the Jail down first, if you do this then there is a short delay before again saying successful. It seems that in both cases the update is not actually successful.
  7. What is the point of showing Installed Plugins on one screen, and then Jails on another? It is silly that you have to go to one screen to open up the Management link for Plugins, but then have to go to the Jails screen in order to Update the Plugin. Seems like there should only be a single view for just Jails, with an option to filter and show Plugins only.
Checked the 11.2 wiki and there is an extremely minimal amount of information regarding plugins and updating.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
As for #7, you can have jails that don't have plugins. I have 4, for example. My plex jail, for example, is a plain jail that I personally installed plex into---that way I am not tied to the plugin, its update schedule, etc.

par

Explorer
As for #7, you can have jails that don't have plugins. I have 4, for example. My plex jail, for example, is a plain jail that I personally installed plex into---that way I am not tied to the plugin, its update schedule, etc.
I wish they would just have a single screen with a filter to show all, plugins only, or jails only. It is silly that you have to go back and forth for one function or the other.

D

dlavigne

That is in the works for 11.3. With 11.2 we purposefully kept the lousy layout from the legacy UI to provide a transition period for existing users as they got used to the look of the new UI. For 11.3 and beyond, we will be improving the workflow and merging jails/plugins/vms into one place is high on the list.

Reactions: par

diskdiddler

Wizard
Hopefully you guys add that request of mine which has a tally, of ALL storage mounts, across all jails, in a single view (same as the old UI for Warden jails - storage subtab)

diskdiddler

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.