Configure rsync logging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireball81

Explorer
Hey guys,

i try to copy various datasets from freenas to a synology ds213 in our basement via rsync for backup purposes.
After fiddling a little bit around with various rsync settings, i got the rsync part up and running but what i couldn`t do so far is adjusting the logfile to my needs.

Let me explain:
The datasets i want to backup contain lots and lots of small files, so when rsync creates a logfile for the according backup job, the logfile size increases very quickly making it diffcult to open the file not to mention getting useful information out of it.
What i would like to achieve is creating a logfile that just gives a short summary of what rsync did (--stats) and reports errors, in case something went wrong.

Before you say take a look at the manpage, (i also looked around here) i really did that but regardless of what i do (starting rsync -v or -q, playing around with --log-file or --log-file-format etc.) the logfile always reports every copied file seperately, which obviously results in a huge logfile very quickly.
Can you help me to adjust the logfile so that it just contains errors and --stats?
In the last step i would like to mail the logfile to my e-mail adress so i have a way to figure out what rsync did.

As always, thank you for your time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.