Config lost after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_jest

Explorer
I'm running FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3. It's more than powerful enough for my basic tasks, and I'm using mirrored boot drives. My system has been running more or less fine for weeks, but I never actively saved a system config file, because I was still doing some adjustments.

While doing some unrelated work on my network, I accidentally powercycled the FreeNAS box, and when it came back up, I thought it vanished; in fact, it merely rebooted to some state where it lost all the configuration info, so it got a different address via DHCP. I logged into it on the GUI, and did enter my actual password, but apart from that, it looks like it's from a fresh install--no config is there, no users, no volumes, no jails, no nothing. I do apparently have the ability to import my ZFS volumes, but I didn't do this yet.

I did manually reboot once more on the GUI, and it's the same thing--took my password but nothing else is there.

Is there anything I can do to restore this? I don't even know where to look. I'm glad that the data is still there, but I had done enough config that it would be a real pain to recreate it all.

Thanks for any ideas.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That sounds extremely unusual. What hardware are you using?

The config file doesn't just disappear, so something is definitely going on. There may be a backup in the .system dataset that you can grab, but I'm not sure about the timings of that task.

the_jest

Explorer
It's my own build, but using things recommended in the docs and reviewed at length on this forum. What would be most helpful to know?

There seems not to be a backup in the .system dataset, if I'm looking at it correctly--the only config thing there is something from this afternoon. I was able to import my ZFS volumes successfully, and it all seems to be there, but redoing all the config (esp for the jails) will be a PITA.

Thanks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

the_jest

Explorer
32 GB, which felt like four times more than I need (this is basically a single-user system, with light requirements). 4 4TB WD Reds in a mirror.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, that's plenty. To be honest, I'm out of ideas.

You didn't happen to boot into the original-install environment, did you? That one probably has default settings only.

the_jest

Explorer
God, that was it! Thank you, I wasn't even aware of that possibility.

There's some problem with a plugin that I'll figure out later, but for now things are all up and running.

Saving config now. Whew!

Status
Not open for further replies.