Comments on new build please

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartynW

Dabbler
Hi all,

I'm looking upgrade my N40L system as I'm running out of space and want more from my hardware. My primary concerns are above the usual data security ones
1. Running VM from a workstation using the NAS as the storage over iSCSI. Ideally I want > 100MB/s but realise I have to wait for 10GBE to get cheaper or team 1GBEs
2. Power consumption, power ain't cheap here in Australia and I pay the bills
3. Noise
4. Dabble with encryption
5. Dabble in Plex transcoding, 2 users would be very unusual

After reading the forum posts the hardware I want to buy while visiting the US over easter is.

MOBO
Supermicro X10SLM7-F-O
CPU
Intel Core i3 4340
RAM
32 GB struggling here to find ram that is on the supermicro website and newegg.com's one. Is this Ram OK? SAMSUNG 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ECC Registered Server Memory Model M393B1K70DH0-CK008/Q8/E8
HDDs
6 x WD Red 3 TD RAIDZ2
PSU
Fractal Design Newton R3 600W
CASE
Fractal DEFINE R4 Arctic White
USB
4GB Sandisk Cruser Blade
UPS
Have one

Questions
1. Any problems with the above build, anything I should consider?
2. Is there any advantage on getting a m1015 over using the onboard SAS2 connector, I assume they can be used in LSI mode?
3. I want to order all the kit from one supplier and the one I've picked newegg as they seem to be the default go to supplier for a lot of US people. Hopefully if I have a issue with the kit in Australia, they won't suck?
4. I'd rather have a smaller case, like the NODE 304, but they are all Mini-ITX. Anyone recomend a good smaller case that takes Micro-ATX?

Thanks in advance.

Maq

Dabbler
I don't have much experience with FreeNAS but I can tell you that you need Unbuffered Memory (not Registered) with this motherboard.

MartynW

Dabbler
Thanks Maq, good catch.

I've had to use Amazon as NewEgg wouldn't take my Australian Credit card so was able to get some RAM off the Supermicro recommended list.

I ordered
Supermicro Motherboard MBD-X10SL7-F-O
Intel I3-4340
4 x 8 GB 2Rx8 PC3-12800E Hynix Memory MEM-DR340L-HL01-EU16 for SuperMicro Server
6 x Seagate NAS HDD 4TB SATA
Fractal Design Newton R3 600-Watt Power Supply
Fractal Design Arc Mini R2

Status
Not open for further replies.