Combining 5 ethernet ports into one virtual

bhk

Dabbler
Hello!

I wanted to ask you if there is a way to combine the 5 ethernet ports of my server into one port using TrueNAS. I have 2 10 Gbit switches with 8 ports each.

Best regards,

Bjorn

That sounds like a job for an LACP LAGG.

bhk

Dabbler
That sounds like a job for an LACP LAGG.
My 10 Gbit GS308E - 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch (NETGEAR) does not support it. Is there a software solution?

bhk

Dabbler
My idea would be that I can assign one 1 Gbit connection to each of my head nodes 5 ethernet ports for data transfer from a windows server.

bhk

Dabbler
My idea would be that I can assign one 1 Gbit connection to each of my head nodes 5 ethernet ports for data transfer from a windows server.
If I try to split the data transfer the bandwidth goes down by 50%.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Is there a software solution?

Yes. Link aggregation is inherently a software solution. Link aggregation really doesn't work unless both sides of a link support it. You need a switch that runs link aggregation firmware, then set up a link aggregation.

Arwen

MVP
Or you can set up 5 different VLANs, which your switch DOES support, (up to 32). Then have each client use a different IP / sub-net for access to the TrueNAS.

This depends on the TrueNAS server having either 10Gbit/ps port or 5 1Gbit/ps ports.

Looking at the specifications for NetGear GS308E, it does not have any 10Gbit/ps ports. Only 8 x 1Gbit/ps ports. Thus, it does not have enough ports for un-shared access, (5 for clients, 5 for NAS). So you would have to use another pair from the second switch.

Did you mean a different NetGear switch?

Reactions: bhk

bhk

Dabbler
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I have a second switch Netgear XS508M 8 Port 10GbE.