SOLVED Clean Install but black screen

Hi,

I built a FreeNAS server based on an LTT design years ago, running on a pen drive, and I've always had issues with it dying. I left it sitting there for a couple of years before deciding I'll bite the bullet and get a relatively inexpensive SSD to run the OS on. I've been able to successfully run the installation drive (with numerous versions of TrueNAS and FreeNAS) and seemingly successfully install the OS onto the SSD. However, every time I try to boot from the SSD I get a blank black screen. No white cursor and it doesn't appear as though there's much activity.

Not really sure how to get the system running now as I've tried both BIOS and UEFI installs, I've tried a few different settings in the bios to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Update:
I managed to get it running on an old USB drive, I believe the issue is with my SSD. I cannot get it to display the boot data on the BIOS, I know my particular Motherboard has issues but it has been replaced by the manufacturer after these issues came to light. I'll get another SSD and try again.

Last edited:
So I'm realising that my boot selection isn't UFEI: Kingston SSD... That isn't available. Perhaps there's an issue with my BIOS settings?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
In the BIOS, you may need to look at the boot setting for USB devices, and enable the Kingston. However, you have a more pressing issue. The C2750D4Is have a track record of just flat dying after several years.

In the BIOS, you may need to look at the boot setting for USB devices, and enable the Kingston. However, you have a more pressing issue. The C2750D4Is have a track record of just flat dying after several years.
Thanks for your help. I’ll have a look at the bios settings today, it isn’t a USB though. It’s a Sata SSD.

I remember a few years back people talking about them failing and I contacted ASRock and they sent me a new board as an exchange.

Okay so not really a solution but a workaround. I installed FreeNAS on an old USB drive and it boots to FreeNAS fine.
Anyone know of any history of SSDs failing to show an installed boot partition?

I guess the issue is my SSD, cannot get it to display a boot partition. I'm persevering with the USB for the time being until I get around to purchasing another SSD. Thanks for your help.