CIFS Share Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoffLee

Dabbler
Hi Guys,

I just got my FreeNas 8.0 box up and running, and everything is working fine so far. I got the CIFS share set up with a guest account and anonymous access (followed the instructions in the wiki) hoping it would allow all the devices on my home network to see it. Unfortunately I can only access the NAS box from my desktop (read/write works fine), but I can't see it through my laptop. On the laptop, I can still access the web UI and fiddle with settings but can't access files. Both systems are running Windows 7 64-bit, and are connect to the NAS box through the same switch.

Have I missed something in setting up the guest account to allow for multiple user access?

Thanks!

Durkatlon

Patron
So you cannot see the NAS at all in your network neighborhood? Are your desktop and laptop set up to be part of the same workgroup?

ProtoSD

MVP
Did you remember to enable the CIFS 'service'.... having the settings and the service in 2 different places gets a lot of people.

sgk

Dabbler
The CIFS share, your desktop pc, your laptop and every other pc or mac that you want it to "see" the CIFS share must have the same workgroup name. The system creates a workgroup name FREENAS by default. So you must either change the workgroup name of the other machines to FREENAS or change the workgroup name of the share to WORKGROUP (the default workgroup of Windows and Linux samba machines)

GeoffLee

Dabbler
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I'm not actually sure what was wrong - I just tried connected again today after work, and everything worked fine. :D

To clarify the issue however, I was able to ping and access the FreeNAS from my laptop (I could see the IP and log into the web GUI) but was unable to 'see' the NAS box in windows explorer, so I couldn't see any of my shared documents.

Strange that it just started working randomly, but I'm pretty happy with the set up now! Just gotta get automated backups running now...

Status
Not open for further replies.