SOLVED CIFS Not Prompting for Credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapvu

Dabbler
FreeNAS 9.1.1

I'm very new to FreeNAS and I setup my volumn and created a dataset called "documents". I changed the owner user and group to to group and user I created.

I gave rwx to owner and rx to group. I gave no rights to other. Unix ACL and recursively.

Then created a CIFS without allowing guest access.

Now when I browse the CIFS with unc path, I get access denied. It's not prompting me with a login window so I can login as the owner or any member of the group.

Any ideas what I did wrong or missing? The PC is using Windows Vista.

D

dlavigne

It's worthwhile upgrading to 9.2.1.2 to see if that fixes it. There were a ton of CIFS bug fixes that went into that point release.

kapvu

Dabbler
So I tried this with a Windows 7 laptop and it looks like everything is configured correctly. I get the prompt for Window 7.

Just for Window Vista, I'm not getting a prompt. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable/enable this?

Rand

Guru
Can you connect if you map it as a drive?
You should have the option to specify user/pw there (connect with different credentials)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So I tried this with a Windows 7 laptop and it looks like everything is configured correctly. I get the prompt for Window 7.

Just for Window Vista, I'm not getting a prompt. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable/enable this?

Windows tries a few username/password combinations before giving you the prompt. Namely the username/password of the account you are logged in as and "guest". This behavior is normal for Windows and I'm not sure if there's a way to change the behavior. But if either of those authenticate then it will authenticate and you will not get a prompt.

kapvu

Dabbler
I rebooted my Vista PC and it allowed me to connect. Thanks for all the help. This is solved now.

Status
Not open for further replies.