CIFS access generally won't work until I access the gui in some way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrayth

Dabbler
I'm currently using nightlies, but this problem has existed for a while for me.

Not sure what kind of information would be needed here, so here's my problem.

When I attempt to access my network share via my desktop (Win 8.1, now Win 10), I get the generic "cannot access" error. As soon as I hit the gui login page via browser, though, the connection works fine and I can get into the share. I don't even have to actually login.

Wrayth

Dabbler
Mostly just out of curiosity, but this problem has existed for me before I started with them.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm a bit curious, why are you running nightlies?
BINGO, Me Too.

Could you just install the current stable version and check it all over again. If it happens again I'd have to say you likely have a permissions issue. It is quite odd that you would need to access the GUI to make this work. Also, report what hardware you are using, CPU, RAM, Drives, running in a VM, etc... Something may help us.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I don't think it's the fact to access the GUI but more the fact to ping the server who do that.

The next time can you try to ping the server instead of accessing the GUI to see if it has the same effect?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
some thing in the network sleeping???

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
My money is on NetBIOS ridiculousness, or hippie ethernet/NIC functions. :)

Wrayth

Dabbler
I was thinking somethink along those lines, too. Obviously simply hitting the gui isn't truly doing it, I generally am just too lazy to ping instead. I'll test that. I figured it was some kind of sleep mode or something.

I'm using the following:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/wrayth/saved/#view=TjvCmG

My jails don't seem to be impacted, though - Plex, Sonarr, etc.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I was thinking somethink along those lines, too. Obviously simply hitting the gui isn't truly doing it, I generally am just too lazy to ping instead. I'll test that. I figured it was some kind of sleep mode or something.

I'm using the following:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/wrayth/saved/#view=TjvCmG

My jails don't seem to be impacted, though - Plex, Sonarr, etc.
you only have a "GeForce GTX 750 Ti". Your freenas server's gpu is clearly under-powered.

Please post full hardware specs. 99% probability that it is NetBIOS.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
you only have a "GeForce GTX 750 Ti". Your freenas server's gpu is clearly under-powered.
I just totally snarfed the coffee.

Wrayth

Dabbler
I'm sorry, what about a GeForce GTX? That url is the full build... Are you not seeing it? I've tested in incognito and still see the full list.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
OK OK OK OKOK

We're kidding sir. We're kidding.

We're making fun of the fact that you are putting a video card in a server at all.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm sorry, what about a GeForce GTX? That url is the full build... Are you not seeing it? I've tested in incognito and still see the full list.

Last night when I clicked on the link it brought me to a parts listing with a GeForce GTX and another gaming PC component. I guess the site had a hiccup. My bad. :D

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Last night when I clicked on the link it brought me to a parts listing with a GeForce GTX and another gaming PC component. I guess the site had a hiccup. My bad. :D
Oh well, it was fun. :)

Wrayth

Dabbler
Ohh, ok. That's a build for my friend, if I recall. Very strange behavior from the site lol.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I liked it better when we thought you were building a FreeNAS with a GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.