Choosing UPS

anonyj

Cadet
Hi everyone, as I'm waiting for the components of my new and first FreeNAS machine to arrive, I thought to myself "It'd be wonderful if the ups could send a shutdown signal to the server when the battery is running low in case of blackout" - obviously, the documentation answered me, and this is possible, now I just need to find a good compatible UPS.
After a little research I restricted my options to
1. APC BX1400UI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T7BYPDG/ - no swappable battery (or at least, you can do it but you must open the case and unscrew a few screws), but cheap as hell: 129€ brand new.
2. APC BR1500GI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041MP81Y/ - swappable battery, fancy screen, but it costs 360€ new.

As far as I understand, but I could be wrong, both of them support the functionality I look for (shutdown server if battery running low - restart it when electricity comes back), and, for my needs, since I'd like to spend as little as possible, the first choice should be enough. Is this right?
1574246047445.png
The back panel of the BX1400UI has two multifinction rj45 ports, those should do the job as far as I know, but, this would be my first time buying an UPS, let alone configure this functionality, so before spending money I'd really like to hear an opinion about these UPS from people more knowledgable than me.
There was a thread about this unit already (https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/ups-is-this-adequate-apc-bx1400ui.50040) but it didn't answer all my questions.
Which do you think would be the better product for the money?

IQless

Contributor
2. APC BR1500GI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041MP81Y/ - swappable battery, fancy screen, but it costs 360€ new.
I have this one (or, it's the G version, but anyway). I have been happy with it. Yesterday tho, the battery "died" after just 1,5y.
That kinda sucked, but I sent a ticket to APC questioning the lifetime of their batteries. After 1 hour I got a reply stating that "The batteries should last 3-5years." They then asked for my address and stated that they would send me a new battery for free. I have not yet received the battery, but so far I have only good things to say about there support team.

The back panel of the BX1400UI has two multifinction rj45 ports
I might be wrong, but I think that is just Surge Protection, and I think it's RJ11, not RJ45. At least if I read APC's support page correctly.

IQless

Contributor
You can connect it via USB from the "PowerChute USB Port". That is what I did on the BR1500G.

garm

Wizard
You need to isolate all copper to the server, that includes the Ethernet cabling. So an adequate UPS needs surge protection on RjJ45 as well as power

anonyj

Cadet
You can connect it via USB from the "PowerChute USB Port". That is what I did on the BR1500G.
Ok so basically the cheaper psu is usable with freenas and automatic shutdown, right? There are extra features that I can miss with this "basic" unit there are useful freenas-wise?

anonyj

Cadet
After a little researching I found out that only the Smart-UPS line by APC offered true sinewave, which ensures compatibility with the different kind of PSUs. So I decided to go for the CyberPower CP1300EPFCLCD.

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
So I haven't actually had the opportunity to test the shutdown function, but.. I have my FreeNAS server connected to a CyberPower OR1500PFCLCD and when I do have momentary brown-outs I do get an email from it stating that its on battery power. It is just connected via a USB port on the server. I am assuming that if battery were to run down to my threshold it would safely turn off. It has been running for 229 days straight.

Inxsible

Guru
I got a brand new Eaton 5PX rackmount UPS for $329 which was a great deal because these are enterprise grade UPSes. I have 0 complaints. It supports 2 of my freenas boxes, my pfsense box, an ESXi box, & 2 switches (1 managed and 1 unmanaged)