Chia Farming on SCALE - Update 7/7/2021

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Quick update today since I've gotten quite a few questions about Chia farming on SCALE.

We've just pushed an update out to the official Chia app on TrueNAS SCALE. This is tagged as version 1.2.0-pre2, which is a pre-release version of Chia that we expect will be tagged as 1.2.0 official in the next few days. This version now has support for the new "official" pooling protocol that we're using on TruePool.io in cooperation with iXsystems. We will update the image quickly after the Chia 1.2.0 version goes live here soon.

For a quick rundown of what's in this image, we've taken it upon ourselves to try and make TrueNAS THE best platform to farm Chia on. This Chia app includes not only the Chia software, but also some 3rd party utilities out of box, such as the MadMax plotter (Which supports pool plots), Plotman and the Farmr.net monitoring agent. For more information please take a look at our docker image page which will we be updating periodically as the image evolves.

Lastly, a bunch of us Chia fans here at iX have gone and created TruePool.io, the Official XCH pool of the TrueNAS project. While the plugin can be used for any pool (and that'll never change) we do hope you'll consider joining us and other TrueNAS community enthusiasts in the cooperative farming efforts.

Thanks and good luck farming!

Questions? Ask away on either Telegram or Discord:
Discord: https://discord.com/invite/hWwAfGFyBz
Telegram: https://t.me/truepool_chia

Last edited:

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Further update today. Chia 1.2.0 has been released. We've updated our Docker image, and the TrueNAS app is being updated now. This includes the latest versions of Chia, MadMax, PlotMan and Farmr.

John Doe

Guru
any suggestions for good working pool layouts and HW specs?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Plots are disposable. In my case I'm using one drive == one pool, and filling it to nearly 99% capacity. Once they fill, they just sit forever and do periodic reads to look for matches. I expose them to my docker instance as /mnt/ch1XX.

As for hardware, if you are just doing farming, even a small Atom works fine, I.E. a TrueNAS Mini. Your plotting system you will want something a bit more beefy, I have a mixture of systems for that, ryzens through higher end Xeons. Some nice SSDs or NVME for scratch space and if you can do > 128G of memory, you can do some of the plot directly in memory using the madmax plotter.

Jeremy

TrueNAS Marketing Team
iXsystems
Update: TruePool.io will hit 500TB sometime tomorrow and we suspect over 1PB in less than a week from now.

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
Hey everyone I’ve just installed truenas scale over my unraid server and trying to get my approx 100TB of chia plots online. I have a couple of issues that I’m hoping someone might offer some guidance:
1) Unraid drives holding chia are formatted in XFS which truenas apparently can’t read. So I’m having to copy them from an ubuntu machine over my 1gbs network to the truenas scale server. that takes about 2 days per 16GB drive. Any suggestions or solutions for a better way?
2) I’m setting up each drive as an individual zpool and filling it to within 100gb full. Is this still recommended way?
3) Is there an actual walkthrough to get chia installed on truenas scale - I pulled and installed the default but webUI wouldn’t start.

Appreciate any and all tips/assistance.