BUILD Checking hardware for new build based on X11SSL-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turboproc

Dabbler
Getting to the last part of hardware to be ordered, my WD RED 6 TB drives. I remember to have read somewhere recently it would be wise to order the drives at various places to avoid receiving 6 drives from the same batch. Is this still wisdom or is this something that doesn't matter in the end.

Evertb1

Guru
Let me put it this way: It won't harm you a bit. If you are the "lucky" one that get a disk from a batch with production problems, at least not all your disks are at risk at once. Replacing new disks under warranty is most of the time no problem but who is going to save your pool if to many disks fail? By the way, remember: backup, backup, backup.

Turboproc

Dabbler
Let me put it this way: It won't harm you a bit. If you are the "lucky" one that get a disk from a batch with production problems, at least not all your disks are at risk at once. Replacing new disks under warranty is most of the time no problem but who is going to save your pool if to many disks fail? By the way, remember: backup, backup, backup.
Great, will order at 2 different suppliers.

Turboproc

Dabbler
Just finished burn in of harddisks. Takes a full week including long test, badblocks and another long test with 6TB disks.
Just need to choose and order a UPS before starting with loading first data onto this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.