change the HDD

Suwarna

Dabbler
Hi All,

after playing with freeNAS for 2 weeks i suppose, using my OLD unused HDD, and keep getting critical error for 2HDD (Unreadable, etc), i decide to grab 2 HDD today to replace it.

so, since i very new in freeNAS and during stay at home (Covid-19) situation, i install freeNAS using old PC, 3 HDD (1x1TB and 2x1.5TB) as my current motherboard only support 3 SATA connection, i know i suppose to have same size of HDD for RaidZ setup (am currently still try to find some used server as to build new server grade at here, very difficult to get proper motherboard as i already post in other thread). so till i get my proper server, i will use only single pool for each HDD. my plan is once i get my server, then i will later copy everything from current machine to new server with new HDDs (plan to have 4-6 HDD depend on budget).

my current problem is to replace the current defected HDD with new HDDs that i just get.
Question :

since i have limited sata connectivity on my current machine, is freeNAS will allow me to put NEW HDD-A & OLD HDD-A , copy everything, then take it out , replace with NEW HDD-B & OLD HDD-B copy everything, and final put NEW HDD-A and NEW HDD-B ? if yes, how will be the configuration in freeNAS ? i really hope there is some solution as to copy everything via LAN will be really painful. thanks for the help.

PS : i actually tried to find out the solution from the manual, however cannot find what i need (or maybe because am not understand it :) ) big thanks for any help.

Brgds,
Suwarna

sretalla