can't see freenas in windows 7 os network

Status
Not open for further replies.

brygy

Cadet
hi I set up a zfs and cifs freenas computer but when i try to see the freenas icon in my windows 7 pc network it doesn't show up. I CAN see my own w7 pc as well as other w7 pc's on my network just never the freenas icon. I turned on network discovery,file sharing and changed my public network to a HOME network but I still cant see my freenas computer. PLEASE HELP!

ingentech

Cadet
Be sure you open "Networking and Sharing Center", it should prompt to turn on network discovery. If not, look around under the Home network settings.

xbmcg

Explorer
Have you configured and enabled and started SAMBA (CIFS)? Have you configured Users, Groups, and shares?

Is the FreeNAS in the same workgroup like your PC's, is the NAS the master browser (SAMBA/CIFS CONFIG)?
Can you enter: \ \192.168.x.x\YourShareName (192.168.x.x stays for the ip address of your nas) in your explorer?

ingentech

Cadet
Sorry, I had a moment. It is very difficult, if not impossible, to network Windows 7 on "Home Network". Change to "Work Network" and that will allow non-"Windows Home Network" machines to be visible.

xbmcg

Explorer
I agree, "home Network" is really stupid. you can't even access admin shares (\ \machine\c$ etc.) directly.
Also you could disable the sharing whizard in explorer -> folder option - advanced and turn off "home group"
stuff. This enables "advanced sharing" - what means standard CIFs / SAMBA as used in all former products (XP, W2000 etc.).

But this is a little O.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.