Can't quite get SAMBA right

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonhalljax

Cadet
I can't seem to get a handle on what would seem to be a simple issue - have two guest shares for two datasets, and one private share for a third dataset.

I've followed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxggaE935PM (FreeNAS 9.10 & 11 and Samba (SMB) permissions) to the letter, and the private share gives a perpetual "\\freenas\private is not accessible" message.

Seems simple - there should be a valid user tied to a group (I can ssh to the server with this user and correct password and validate I'm in the correct group), set the private share to have the user's group as the owner group (owner user as nobody), and create a SAMBA share.

The weird thing is that *sometimes* when I start over it works (using something like "user1" as the video shows), but when I use my own user tied to that group, no dice - and the original user1 (who I haven't touched) that was working no longer works! I can always see the share, and when it works it's fast. The issue is just authenticating. The dataset has Windows permissions.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Servman

Dabbler
I can't seem to get a handle on what would seem to be a simple issue - have two guest shares for two datasets, and one private share for a third dataset.

I've followed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxggaE935PM (FreeNAS 9.10 & 11 and Samba (SMB) permissions) to the letter, and the private share gives a perpetual "\\freenas\private is not accessible" message.

Seems simple - there should be a valid user tied to a group (I can ssh to the server with this user and correct password and validate I'm in the correct group), set the private share to have the user's group as the owner group (owner user as nobody), and create a SAMBA share.

The weird thing is that *sometimes* when I start over it works (using something like "user1" as the video shows), but when I use my own user tied to that group, no dice - and the original user1 (who I haven't touched) that was working no longer works! I can always see the share, and when it works it's fast. The issue is just authenticating. The dataset has Windows permissions.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Hi @jasonhalljax,

Can you access the other shares that you created and they work properly?

If so it sounds like a permission issue.

Not a Samba issue.

Make sure the user is part of the group and the user or group has read and write access to the folder.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.