Can't detect NTFS partition or mnt; gpart no such geom

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagarajack

Cadet
Hi All,

I thank ahead for any reply on this thread. I have researched the web and couldn't find the solution to my case here:

1. Fresh Newly built system using latest FreeNas 9.2.1.5 (AMD APU 3300, 16GB ram, 2x-640gb WD Black in ZFS Mirror, 1x-2TB Samsung in ZFS stripe)

2. Trying to import my windows 7 storage drive using FreeNas machine to copy the files. (The drive is a Hitachi 2TB. It is NOT bootable. It has TWO primary NTFS partitions for storage only)

3. Under "view storage" I see the Hitachi drive as "ada2" normal and healthy. When I attempted to use the GUI to import the volume with "NTFS" box checked, it created a volume with error, unable to get drive size or data size.

4. Subsequently, I detached the volume with error and tried to mount the drive through shell. I ran the command "gpart show /dev/ada2" and it returned "no such geom". Then I ran the command "ls /dev/ada2*" and it returned "/dev/ada2".
At this point, I knew something was wrong because the partitions were not picked up by FreeNas. I was expecting something like "ada2s1" or "ada2s2".

5. I ran "ntfs-3g -o ro /dev/ada2 /mnt/hitachi" anyway to see if I can at least get access and was not able to get the drive to mount.

I believe the problem lies in my ntfs partition. Something is causing it to not getting recognized. I have tested the drive by reconnecting it under windows 7 and it worked as it should. I always power down my OS with hibernation turned off.

Could anyone please give me some insight into my problem? Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you!

Jack

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, NTFS support on FreeBSD isn't very good. It's very unreliable and has been known to eat data without warning. I have a ticket in to make the mounting of NTFS partitions read-only to prevent data loss for users that don't know better.

I'm not sure what your intention is with mounting your NTFS partitions, but your best bet is to create your pool and share it out with CIFS(or whatever your favorite protocol is) and then copy the data to the server from your Windows 7 station.

Status
Not open for further replies.