Can't access directory and other questions from a newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhamon

Cadet
Hi there. I'm not sure where this question(s) should go, so I am throwing it here.

I am unable to access my FreeNAS directory from my Windows 10 PC. I am an experienced windows user, but incredibly new to Unix, so I am going to give as much information as possible so all of you can tell me exactly where I am being an idiot.

BACKGROUND:

I setup my freenas box about 3 months ago and even got a minecraft server setup for my kids (and me =), but I was never able to manage folders across all the computers in my house (4 PCs running windows 10 (1 Pro version and 3 Home). I decided to completely wipe and start over yesterday and now I can’t map anything (pictures below).

NEED TO HAVE:

1. 1 FreeNAS system with 2 mirrored 4TB hard drives for file sharing, storage, and backup (I think this is done correctly)

2. Access to the system from all of our computers (I am NOT worried about parsing out access; it is fine if everyone has access to everyone else’s folders)

NICE TO HAVE, in order of priority:

1. Automatic file syncing across the 4 computers in the house (e.g. I’d like to have my kids’ homework folders sync to their folders on the NAS and I’d like a ‘family pictures’ folder sync across all the computers for safety) (NO idea how to do this one)

2. A working PLEX or FIREFLY media server to stream shows off my NAS onto my 2 Rokus (one Roku 2 and one Roku 3) (I am not bound to any one service, so any recommendations on the best one would be appreciated)

3. A print server to hook my Canon imageCLASS D530 to the NAS so all the computers can print to it directly

4. Syncing to a cloud service for critical things like photos

5. A working Minecraft server for the family (I did this before, so I am sure I can figure it out)

6. A SECOND Minecraft server to run 2 worlds simultaneously (not sure this is possible)

CURRENT SETUP (FreeNAS v9.10.1):

I am going to post a bunch of photos because I don’t know what’s important.

System – Information

System – General

Network – Global Configuration (should this have more?)

Storage – Volumes (I have already installed PLEX and MINEOS, but have not one anything with them)

Directory Services – Active Directory

Sharing – Windows (SMB) (and details for NAS-Home)

Services

Services – SMB

ACCESS SETUP

Here is how I go about setting up my computer to access the directory

1. Hit the Windows Key and type ‘\\NAS’

2. And this folder opens (I NEVER created anything with the name ‘homes’ so that folder is system generated)

3. When I try to open the folder ‘homes’ I get this error

I am sure I am just missing an obvious mistake on my part, but I have spent a lot of time tinkering and can’t get it fixed (which I am sure is simply due to my newb status). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just let me know if you need any other information, though if you need logs of anything, I’m afraid you’ll probably need to tell me where you get them from.

Thanks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
1. Syncthing is my choice.

2. Plex

3. You will need to get handy with a command line and set up a jail for this. If it's a USB printer, good luck.

4. Crashplan?

5. Mineos is just fine.

6. Sure. Go ahead. Run multiple mineos servers.

dhamon

Cadet
A. You don't need active directory

B. http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/sharing.html#windows-smb-shares

C. You absolutely need other information on your network configuration. http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/network.html

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I got half way there! I was able to map to the main folder and access it, but when I try to create a new folder inside of it, it says I don't have the permissions to do it. This is where I went sideways on my last build. I would up with several folders that different computers were able to access, but couldn't modify or delete.

How do I manage permissions on my SMB share so that all the computers on my network can access and modify the files and folders within? Do I have to create users and groups to give them access? If so, I am never asked for a login when I map to the NAS folder, so how does the system know who's getting access?

I know this is probably a really simple problem, but I have been messing around with it and it seems like there is probably a really simple solution.

Thanks again for your help.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
See my link to the SMB documentation. It explains how to set permissions

dhamon

Cadet
See my link to the SMB documentation. It explains how to set permissions
I walked through that guide, and I am still failing at some point. I am setting guest access, so I should be able to access/modify the directory without entering a password (I did try following the guide to set a user and group, then tried logging in with that user and password, but no matter how I adjust it, whenever I type in the passowrd, it tells me that the directory is not available after I hit enter.

Here are my SMB settings:

When I do set permissions I get this log in screen:

After typing in my [correct] password, I get this screen:

It is only my wife and kids accessing the network, so I am not overly concerned with security right now (if I add cloud storage syncing or OwnCloud down the road I will worry then). Therefore, I am fine with guest access, but when I set guest access I don't have permissions to edit the directory. When I do set user access, my password wont get me in.

Most of my problems have been a single checkbox I had to ht, bit if that is the case here, I can't find it anywhere.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
In your SMB service settings, you have the Guest account set to nobody, so that account has to own anything you want to make available via guest access. Also, don't share the root of your storage. Make a dataset and share that.

Status
Not open for further replies.