Cannot receive 'zfs send' as non-root user, with 'zfs allow' set

Status
Not open for further replies.

STREBLO

Patron
I'm not sure what it is that is wrong, but I have been unable to send snapshots from a FreeBSD 11 machine using zxfer, as a normal user, doing everything I can think of.

So far the things I have done to enable ZFS send receive as a regular user are the following:

Set vfs.usermount=1

Set every zfs allow setting I can think of:

Code:
 ~# zfs allow tank/replication/Wrath
zfs allow tank/replication/Wrath
---- Permissions on tank/replication/Wrath ---------------------------
Local+Descendent permissions:
	user replicator atime,canmount,casesensitivity,checksum,compression,copies,create,dedup,destroy,diff,exec,filesystem_count,filesystem_limit,hold,jailed,logbias,mount,mountpoint,normalization,quota,readonly,receive,recordsize,redundant_metadata,refquota,refreservation,release,reservation,send,setuid,share,sharenfs,sharesmb,snapdir,snapshot_count,snapshot_limit,sync,userprop,utf8only,volmode
---- Permissions on tank/replication ---------------------------------
Local+Descendent permissions:
	user replicator compression,create,destroy,diff,mount,mountpoint,readonly,receive,release,send,userprop

But whenever I ran zxfer, sshing as a non root user, and to a destination I own, I got:

Code:
~ # zxfer -dFkPv -T replicator@<backup server> -R vault tank/replication/Wrath
Creating destination filesystem "tank/replication/Wrath/vault" with specified properties.
cannot create 'tank/replication/Wrath/vault': permission denied
Error when creating destination filesystem.

I even tried ssh'ing in to root on my freenas in order to create the data sets, and that seemed to work correctly sending the snapshots, however, when I then tried to send as a non-administrator after the root user had sent, I got 'cannot mount' warnings;

Code:
cannot mount 'tank/replication/Wrath/vault/usr/home': Insufficient privileges
cannot mount 'tank/replication/Wrath/vault/usr/ports': Insufficient privileges
cannot mount 'tank/replication/Wrath/vault/usr/src': Insufficient privileges

I don't want to leave my machine with the ability to ssh in to my freenas as root, but it won't work otherwise!

I've tried everything I can think of. What is going wrong? Is there a bug here?

Last edited:

STREBLO

Patron
Nope.

Another problem i'm having is, and I think this is related to how `zfs recv' wants datasets to be unmounted on receive: If the dataset I am sending to is mounted, which i'm sure you know is by default, I am welcomed with hundreds of the following:

Code:
collectd[42972]: statvfs(/mnt/tank/replication/Wrath/vault) failed: No such file or directory 

I've seen previous mentions of it on the forums. Right now I have ended up just leaving the datasets I am replicating to unmounted. I'm not sure if this is working by design, or if I should post a bug report.

Ideally I guess I would set up the requirements to integrate with the GUI when replicating, is it at all possible to do that?

fd0

Dabbler
Any news on this?

zxfer does a remote "zfs create" that fails...

Status
Not open for further replies.