Cannot Create ZFS - Disks Not Visible In GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBobC

Dabbler
Hello. I am having problems with disks being recognized in the GUI so I can make a zfs volume. I currently have the following disks:
ada0
ada1
ada2
ada3
ada4
da0
da1
da2
da3
da4
da5
da6
da7
da8
da9
da10
da11
da12
da13
da14
da15
da16

ada0-4 are 2TB drives and form a raidz1.
da8-15 are 1.5TB drives and form a raidz2.
da16 is the system USB drive.
My goal is to make another raidz2 from da0-7. The problem is I am unable to do so. When I choose to create a volume in the GUI, my disks listed as available are:
ada1
ada2
ada3
ada4
da4
da12
da13
da14

It knows ada0-4 are 2TB disks, and the others are 1.5TB. Of the 8 disks I would like, 1 is listed as available as the others are in the existing raidz2 or the raidz1 pools. I am unfortunately at the point where I will need this new raidz2 in a matter of days, and am stuck as to how to create it. I tried creating it in the CLI and exporting it so I could import it in via the GUI, but that didn't work. All the da drives are on two Intel SASUC8I cards. The motherboard is a Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H, and I have 4GB of RAM. Also, using 8.0.1 BETA-4 amd64 version. Please advise, thanks!
da15

ProtoSD

MVP
What happened when you created it in the GUI? It worked but you just weren't able to import in the GUI?

You could try exporting all of your pools, reset your config to factory settings, reboot, Auto-Import your pools, and then try to restore your settings. If restoring your settings screws things up, you might have to skip that and restore settings by hand. Post back and let us know if that works.

MrBobC

Dabbler
I was unable to create it in the GUI because only 1 of the 8 disks I desired was "available."

ProtoSD

MVP
I'm sorry, my brain and fingers weren't in sync... ;-)

What happened when you created it at the command line? It worked ok?

So, my suggestion is if that works ok, create it, export ALL of your pools, save your settings, reset to factory config (which will automatically reboot), then from the GUI, 1 by 1, Auto Import each of your pools. If that works and the GUI sees them all properly, then restore your settings.

MrBobC

Dabbler
Hey, it worked! Except when I restored my settings, the new one I wanted to create went away. I just reconfigured.

ProtoSD

MVP
Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear it worked for the most part. So I guess that means you had to restore all of your settings by hand? Hope that wasn't too horrible. Looks like there needs to be some better error checking when restoring settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.