Can another theme be added for the forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm going to slowly migrate the various guides I've authored over time to the Resources section, now that it's working.

@JoshDW19 - many thanks for getting that thing to work. (Now comes the nitpicking :p). Spacing in the resources section suffers from the same issue as comments did. It just needs a little bit of indent.

INCSlayer

Contributor
on behalf of @Ericloewe im requesting that a *sigh* emoticon be added to the forum

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
And the search it was replaced with is virtually useless for those of us who knew how to make use of the old search. I shouldn't have to go to one of my web servers and pull referer logs to find old threads I've posted ${something} in.

My experience is that you can't really find things in the forums without voodoo. Just replace $oldvoodoo with $newvoodoo.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
on behalf of @Ericloewe im requesting that a *sigh* emoticon be added to the forum
Getting a *sigh* emoji integrated in the next version of Unicode is probably an easier task.

Sakuru

Guru
Why not a gif?
SIMON-COWELL-HAPPY-GIF.gif

INCSlayer

Contributor

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Things that should be fixed so far on "New Theme":

Added an identifiable div container and text to the search box
Made search box responsive
Fixed signature spacing
Fixed resource section permissions for all users
Added @media query to fix the navigation bar getting shoved under the blue sub-menu bar on mobile devices
Very basic theming of search results landing page - not happy with the way it looks, but I need more time to divide the CSS tags
Adjust font sizes on blue sub-menu bar to the size of the "default" forum theme

I may have missed a few things, but I think that covers a lot of the major things you all were looking for. I'll start working on it again after the weekend (maybe during the weekend if I get bored!). Enjoy the long weekend everyone!

It's probably pebcak, but scrolling in the text editor seems to be hit and miss (mostly miss) in a mobile browser.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's probably pebcak, but scrolling in the text editor seems to be hit and miss (mostly miss) in a mobile browser.
I used to have that problem a lot.

I can't remember if it fixed itself (presumably due to a XenForo update) or if it was fixed with a browser update...

These days, everything works rather well on my phone, which is one of the features of this forum that enable me to procrastinate so much...

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Hello!

I don't know if there are any pcbsd.forums.org users here, but since I managed to create some IMHO nice themes there (pcbsd-duende hues/dark), I figured I could help out over here to do the same sort of work. Xenforo is exceptionally different than myBB so it took some time to understand. However, even with the "encyclopedia-sized" configurator for themes that Xenforo has, I have chosen to do things much more manually. The 'Experimental' theme that is now available is mostly complete, so I have made it available to general users. I will be continuing to tweak and fix any odd-colored things and eventually plan to create variations (dark, blue, green) as I did on the other forum site. Other improvements will necessarily be much less visible but IMHO are even more necessary such as: removing invalid CSS, adding a lot more .class or #id within the templates to greatly ease identfying units for style/color changes, preference of CSS over other methods (such as not using png-gradients), other possible structural changes in the templates, hopefully speeding up load/render time, removing any redundancies or excesses (there are 12 .js files loaded here but only 3 on the pcbsd site).. and so on and on. The hue/dark themes will undoubtedly get completed before any of the other cleanup but just giving you all some thoughts on what I hope to accomplish. Even as 'Experimental' is available, the actual finalized theme will be a duplicate with a different name (eventually- likely after the cleanup is nearly done).

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello!

I don't know if there are any pcbsd.forums.org users here, but since I managed to create some IMHO nice themes there (pcbsd-duende hues/dark), I figured I could help out over here to do the same sort of work. Xenforo is exceptionally different than myBB so it took some time to understand. However, even with the "encyclopedia-sized" configurator for themes that Xenforo has, I have chosen to do things much more manually. The 'Experimental' theme that is now available is mostly complete, so I have made it available to general users. I will be continuing to tweak and fix any odd-colored things and eventually plan to create variations (dark, blue, green) as I did on the other forum site. Other improvements will necessarily be much less visible but IMHO are even more necessary such as: removing invalid CSS, adding a lot more .class or #id within the templates to greatly ease identfying units for style/color changes, using CSS for gradients instead of loading images (note that the majority of those png-gradients are gone in my theme), other possible structural changes in the templates, hopefully speeding up load/render time, removing any redundancies or excesses (there are 12 .js files loaded here but only 3 on the pcbsd site).. and so on and on. The hue/dark themes will undoubtedly get completed before any of the other cleanup but just giving you all some thoughts on what I hope to accomplish. Even as 'Experimental' is available, the actual finalized theme will be a duplicate with a different name (eventually- likely after the cleanup is nearly done).
Thanks for doing this!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I know it's a bit unusual to have 10 pages of unread posts, but the bottom navigation bar looks a little strange with the arrows inside the number bar.
upload_2016-5-31_10-4-22.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hyperlinks don't show up in the text editor.
The color is very slightly different, I think, but nearly indistinguishable.

Status
Not open for further replies.