Building my new server....trouble selecting parts

ThreeDee

Guru
IF I could use Ryzen 3900X for example with ECC RAM....that would be a no-brainer. Especially since I plan to use TrueNAS SCALE.
I want to go efficiency, cool and quiet. hence the Full ATX chassis and crapload of Noctua fans.
I run the 3700x on a X470D4U and 4 x 16GB ECC UDIMM's .. plus an M1015 crossflashed to LSI9211-8i (IT Mode) for an extra 8 drives + the 6 SATA and 2 x M.2 ports (or 8 SATA).

I only run Plex and UniFi Controller jails with a few SAMBA shares .. and it's been a great setup. I have up to 10 of the 40+ friends/family watching stuff on my plex at a time..

You can run 5000 series Ryzen's on this motherboard with the latest beta BIOS .. and there is also the 10GB nic'd version

KRDucky

Dabbler
I run the 3700x on a X470D4U and 4 x 16GB ECC UDIMM's .. plus an M1015 crossflashed to LSI9211-8i (IT Mode) for an extra 8 drives + the 6 SATA and 2 x M.2 ports (or 8 SATA).

I only run Plex and UniFi Controller jails with a few SAMBA shares .. and it's been a great setup. I have up to 10 of the 40+ friends/family watching stuff on my plex at a time..

You can run 5000 series Ryzen's on this motherboard with the latest beta BIOS .. and there is also the 10GB nic'd version
Interesting. All the documentation from the manufacturers of boards that supported it implied you needed Ryzen PRO CPUs. I do have a friend offering me his old Threadripper 1950X and mobo for $350 but Im kinda concerned about that 180W TDP on the chip as well as the 64GB max on the board.

ThreeDee

Guru
Interesting. All the documentation from the manufacturers of boards that supported it implied you needed Ryzen PRO CPUs. I do have a friend offering me his old Threadripper 1950X and mobo for $350 but Im kinda concerned about that 180W TDP on the chip as well as the 64GB max on the board.
thats only with APU's that it needs to be "Pro" to utilize ECC

KRDucky

Dabbler
Damn, Im looking at almost $400 just for RAM. Im almost thinking I need to look at Xeon to try and keep the price of parts lower. Unless I dont need to worry about RAM speed + Ryzen /Threadripper.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
At the risk of sounding like a broken record: Last summer I was exactly at the point you are now. And it was mainly RAM price that moved me from a new and more efficient Ryzen to a used Supermicro board with Xeon and DDR3. Although it seems that prices even for this stuff have gone up :-(

I certainly don't envy you.

Etorix

Wizard
used Supermicro board with Xeon and DDR3. Although it seems that prices even for this stuff have gone up :-(
Price for X9 generation going up? With Madmax plotter and 128 GB RAM these make remarkably cost-effective plotters for the Chia cryptocurrency, but I would not expect that there are so many "farmers" buying these to drive the prices up—especially when all cryptocurrencies take a deep plunge. That's just crazy. o_O

ThreeDee

Guru
My previous server was a Chinese knock-off x79T LGA 2011 .. I ran 64gb of DDR3 RDIMM's on it that I picked up for $80 off of ebay. I almost didn't do the upgrade because of RAM pricing on UDIMM's

KRDucky

Dabbler
This is the build I think Im using.....thoughts? ~$919 without extra trays. Add ~$55 for trays.

Build1.png
Build2.png

ThreeDee

Guru
I like it .. call me biased though ..
You'll probably have to flash to the 4.21 Beta BIOS via IPMI is all running that 5600x .. I run the Beta BIOS with my 3700x

ThreeDee

Guru
nope, shouldn't have any issue running just 1 stick .. goes in A1 instead of A2 slot like with consumer boards.

I initially had an issue with setting up my X470D4U. I bought 2 x 16GB sticks of Nemix brand ECC 3200 UDIMM's .. setup wouldn't boot with both sticks. Did single sticks and it would boot with one but not the other. Setup and RMA and purchased a different brand.

(the way the Nemix stuff was shipped was abysmal in it's packaging and I thought surely one stick was damaged .. just 2 sticks in a static bag in an envelope .. no plastic container or anything of the sort to protect the sticks of RAM)

While I waited for the new stuff .. I took the good stick and set up TrueNAS with it .. updated the BIOS and BMC .. then on a whim I thought I'd try that "bad" stick again and it now was working just fine .. I seated and reseated and almost broke the memory slots making sure those sticks were seated properly before .. and no go, but now the stick worked just fine ..

Got the new low profile 2 x 16gb 2666 ECC UDIMM's and mixed them with the Nemix 3200 stuff .. and it all worked just fine at the slower 2666 speed right off the bat.

I canceled the RMA and run 64gb's now of mix matched sets.

So yeah .. 1 stick will work just fine..

and I found the following case for sale on local Facebook Marketplace for $30

I have some of these in case I need more than 6 drives

Last edited: