BUILD Building a New One Advise on Parts SM-X11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomad

Contributor
Hey Everyone,

I've been in hiding which means nothing has gone wrong with my NAS in quite a while expect I've filled it up. :D

• Supermicro Micro ATX DDR4 LGA 1151 Motherboards X11SSH-TF-O
  • Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5 SkyLake 3.0 GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1151 80W BX80662E31220V5
  • (6) WD Red 6TB
  • RAM? What works on this board?
  • Antec 900 Case (Triple Fan Mod)
Am I on the right track or have I missed something very important? I am aware of the lack of boot USB support but I won't build this until FNAS 10.X is stable.

Last edited:

Dice

Wizard
Are you choosing to build a new NAS while you actually have the option to upgrade an already built machine?

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
Hey Everyone,

I've been in hiding which means nothing has gone wrong with my NAS in quite a while expect I've filled it up. :D

• Supermicro Micro ATX DDR4 LGA 1151 Motherboards X11SSH-TF-O
  • Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5 SkyLake 3.0 GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1151 80W BX80662E31220V5
  • (6) WD Red 6TB
  • RAM? What works on this board?
  • Antec 900 Case (Triple Fan Mod)
Am I on the right track or have I missed something very important? I am aware of the lack of boot USB support but I won't build this until FNAS 10.X is stable.
Your board does not yet have freebsd drivers for the Lan but that is not an issue if you are waiting for 10.0 but there might be an updated driver but it depends on intel. Worst case is to buy an Intel Lan card or manually compile/install the drivers.

religiouslyconfused

Contributor

Nomad

Contributor
Been a while so I'm just updating everyone. I went on a trip to Spain using Plex over fiber was amazing so my old box is still working well.

The reason for the upgrade is my current board will not support 32GB+ of ram and the 6x8TB build requires ECC/32GB+

A few questions about this high of storage array. Am I still going to be "ok" with a Z2 with 6 8TB drives?

Is there a better solution instead of building this from scratch? I've seen a few ebay auctions posted up there for 800-1k systems.

Dice

Wizard
Is there a better solution instead of building this from scratch?

I recently purchased a Skylake setup (see sig.). I cheaped out on RAM, starting at 16gb. That was not nearly enough for smooth operation. Still I cannot validate performance gains from my jump from 16->48gb (memtest still in action for hardware validation). With this said, I've been a bit humbled by some posts discussing the 'future strategy' of <any> FreeNAS build. I'll share some of my thoughts on the topic.

Too many people seem to build a small form factor box, cram in a bunch of drives, and call it the day. Then the day comes when that build no longer is sufficient and questions emerge on what to do next. Some add their older box as a 2nd line backup solution of the more important files. Others... ..simply remake the same mistake once again by purchasing a similar setup (yet with higher performance parts aka a bit more ram, a bit more cpu and a bit juicier drives with a bit larger capacity).

Since you are about to enter this scenario for real, you still have the option to pose the question to yourself <what do I want from this hardware, when it is time to upgrade next?>. My own goal was to slowly build a monster as I could afford parts.
To put that reasoning into context, if your current AMD build would've supported 32gb ram, the likely hood of you swapping out the motherboard/cpu/ram for <ram reasons> at this point in time - would be sitting in a completely different light, wouldn't it?
My point is to setup a <strategy> of what should stay and what should go on your upcoming upgrades.
Some points that I considered before my own purchase.
  • HBA - I took the hit and got a 4x SFF8087 16x drive 'out of the box' compatible card. Should set me up for at least one additional upgrade (adding 7x drives)
  • CPU - I went the chicken route. I got the middle road of an i3-6100. It is hugely overpowered for what I'm doing. I could've gone for the G4400..
  • Case - Getting a case that allows for at least one 'added vdev' to the main zpool is a must in my opinion.
  • RAM - I discarded the X10 series due to the cap at 32gb. Only got myself 16gb initially due to budget constraints and easiness for future upgrades.
  • vdev size - I decided 7x drives would be enough 'value for the cash up front' and decently upgradeable (7drives are steep to purchase at once but better than 12x..)
  • PSU - Better slightly overpowered at the beginning than in dire need for replacing once a vdev has been added.

Then I became interested in ESXi and virtalization of my utility servers... number of cpu cores, PCIe slots and ram capacity have suddenly become my immediate points of restriction.....
So if I could've redone my choices here?
I'm completely happy with PSU/HBA/vdev
On the other hand, the parts which are limiting at this point are first lack of CPU cores. Yes, an Xeon 1230 could still be purchased. Beyond that...

I would've taken the hit up to E5... Here is what a comparison looks like with my local prices:

X11SSL-F (Max 64gb ram)
Intel Xeon E3-1230v5 3.4/3.8GHz QuadCore HT, 8MB,
2x16gb ECC UDIMM
7728SEK = 940USD

X10SRL-F (Max 512gb ram)
Intel Xeon E5-1620v3, 4-Core, 3.5GHz 10MB cache
2x16gb ECC REG
9173SEK = 1100USD

At least - that means less likelihood to be stuck in a spot forcing RAM to be the reason for upgrading.
The CPU's are on sockets that does not seem to change quite as fast as the consumer grade stuff I'm used to. That holds for future possibilites to upgrade (ie, in 3 years when current monster cpu's are hitting the market 2nd hand).. The 20 cores cpu are ...nonomonom ...just out there within reach.

To wrap this rant up:
It is difficult to purchase a system that fits when the use case may change. Yet, there are still some pieces of hardware that will be valid if plans change for use case and/or hardware requirements change for the 'more intensive'.
Hope this helped you somewhere in reasoning :)

Cheers,

Last edited:

Nomad

Contributor
upload_2016-4-27_12-19-16.png

Given this is my average load on the system which is really just used for Plex and a couple (20VM's) I don't think the E5 would be money well spent considering they preform about the same on benchmarks and stats.

As far as my old system I already have a buyer for it
Only reason for upgrade is I'm running out of space and that took 4 years to fill so getting something that is 8x8TB with Z2 ~ 48TB which is about 4-5 times larger than I currently have based on growth over the last 2 years I'm looking at 8-10 years before needing to upgrade due to storage again.

Dice

Wizard
Only reason for upgrade is I'm running out of space
hehe, yeah, I realize my usecase is abit different from yours :)

I get some slower performance when dealing with small files, but to be honest - I cannot definitely blame lack of memory in FreeNAS. It could just as well be caused by CIFS (from my readings).

My argument is, if you are satisfied with CPU power, and ram is not really an issue (at least not critical enough to not test and evaluate without it - data is confirmed by forum gurus to be safe at 16gb even for this sized pool), what about considering not upgrading CPU/ram, and perhaps adding a HBA, drives, maybe PSU if needed, and a more intruiging case?

Cheers /

Last edited:

Nomad

Contributor
Move to 10Gb network in my home. Which is why I'm looking at the X11ssh-TF-0.
The real cost is the drives. 9x8TB ~3k everything else is cheap in comparison :)

My current case is silent and due to the location of the NAS i'd like to keep it quiet.

Dice

Wizard
Damn, my reading skills are really sub par today :| (about selling the old one)
Yet mentioning 10Gb network would probably be a strong point to put in the #1 ;)

(for the record, the fans used in that x-case <is not> comparable to the regular SM chassis at low speed. These are completely different beasts. I run them myself but in a DIY case. They are indeed as silent as any normal PC, as the commercial claims. If their cooling performance is adequate at lowest speed from an X11 board, that I've no experience of. At least not yet)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.