Build Report: Node 304 + X10SDV-TLN4F [ESXi/FreeNAS AIO]

listhor

Contributor
Setting up an iSCSI datastore in FreeNAS.

(...)
Some time ago I followed your great tutorial and I think because of having iscsi datastore enabled, esxi gets stuck while booting or booting is delayed significantly.
I use in Truenas shutdown and postinit scripts to remove and add datastores in esxi but I think disabling by cli either software iscsi adapter or iscsi session login/automount on boot would be quite helpful...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Some time ago I followed your great tutorial and I think because of having iscsi datastore enabled, esxi gets stuck while booting or booting is delayed significantly.
I use in Truenas shutdown and postinit scripts to remove and add datastores in esxi but I think disabling by cli either software iscsi adapter or iscsi session login/automount on boot would be quite helpful...

This is mentioned in point 4) of my article on successfully virtualizing TrueNAS.

This is generally inherent to the design of ESXi, which needs access to its datastores in order to run your VM's. Turning off iSCSI or trying to remove and add datastores is not particularly helpful.

listhor

Contributor
In order to reduce delay while booting esxi, I've removed iscsi dynamic target and left configured only static target - hoping to change timeout value. At the moment I can't test it but I'll do it in 2 weeks :smile: