Build proposal (2 solutions to choose)

Which build solution would you choose? Explain why if needed below.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wxlsxn

Dabbler
So I started purchasing my equipment and in the midst of having half of it shipped to me and the other on it's way, I ran into another build possibility. A client was decommissioning their server and long story short, I was able to acquire it. The internals didn't really matter to me, I just wanted the chassis; a SUPERMICRO SuperChassis CSE-745TQ-R800B.

Please share thoughts, experience etc in regards to the two possible builds.
If I choose solution 1, then I have a future build project chassis waiting for me.
If I choose solution 2, then I can re-purpose much of what I've already purchased towards my personal PC or another future build. Or I can return it, pay for shipping and take a 15% re-stocking fee loss; not ideal and would rather just keep it.

Base components:
Intel Xeon E3 1241V3
SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Crucial 16GB CT2KIT102472BD160B (may go to 32)
SanDisk 120GB SSD Plus
6X WD Red 4TB (maybe 8, to use 2 for offline backups)

Solution 1:
Fractal Design Node 804
Seasonic SS-660XP2 PSU
2X Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm Case Fan
4X Noctua NF-S12A PWM 120mm Case Fan

Solution 2:
SUPERMICRO SuperChassis CSE-745TQ-R800B includes:
OEM redundant PSUs 800W (overkill but came with the chassis)
Fans and cooling
Hot-swap bays
Sony Tape backup

Depending on cooling requirements and/or noise, they may either reside in the master bedroom closet or basement utility closet.

The Node 804 and the Supermicro CSE-745TQ-R800B are really aimed at solving different problems. If you need a quiet, not too large server with 8 disks, the Node 804 based solution is the best choice. If you need more than 8 disks, and can accept a noisy, large, power sucking system, then the Supermicro CSE-745TQ-R800B is the choice.

We don't know whether you prioritize small and quiet or large capacity. Only you can answer that question.

Stux

MVP
As far as I can tell all your components should be good for either case right?

So get the supermicro up, and decide if it's what you want then decide if instead you want a quieter case.

wxlsxn

Dabbler
The Node 804 and the Supermicro CSE-745TQ-R800B are really aimed at solving different problems. If you need a quiet, not too large server with 8 disks, the Node 804 based solution is the best choice. If you need more than 8 disks, and can accept a noisy, large, power sucking system, then the Supermicro CSE-745TQ-R800B is the choice.

We don't know whether you prioritize small and quiet or large capacity. Only you can answer that question.

Well my initial build (solution 1) was intended to be quiet since it would be in the master bedroom closet. After acquiring the Supermicro, the server could be put in the basement if it was too loud. So the priority at this point is which would make for a better, more reliable, easy to maintain system?

I like that the Supermicro has hot-swap bays, redundant power supplies and direct cooling for the hard drives. I understand they are two very different systems, just curious to others' thoughts or experiences.

Is the CSE-745TQ-R800B really that power hungry?

wxlsxn

Dabbler
As far as I can tell all your components should be good for either case right?

So get the supermicro up, and decide if it's what you want then decide if instead you want a quieter case.

Yes, the components would be suitable for either case. This is exactly what I'm going to do unless I hear any reason not to use the Supermicro.

Stux

MVP
Beware that active sas1 supermicro backplanes only support 2TB drives.

This one might be passive since it's only 8 drives.

Is the CSE-745TQ-R800B really that power hungry?
Using the Supermicro case implies a larger number of hard drives, otherwise it makes no sense. Each extra spinning disk drive consumes power. The cooling fans on that case will draw a fair bit of power too.

If you think you would eventually need more than 8 disks, the Supermicro chassis is worth considering (assuming it can handle disks with more than 2 TB).

Stux

MVP
Using the Supermicro case implies a larger number of hard drives, otherwise it makes no sense. Each extra spinning disk drive consumes power. The cooling fans on that case will draw a fair bit of power too.

If you think you would eventually need more than 8 disks, the Supermicro chassis is worth considering (assuming it can handle disks with more than 2 TB).

Its an 8-bay desktop style tower.

SC745TQ_spec2.jpg

Its an 8-bay desktop style tower.
Duh! That'll teach me to look up model numbers before replying. Thanks!

wxlsxn

Dabbler
Beware that active sas1 supermicro backplanes only support 2TB drives.

Ahh this is something I wasn't aware of. I will look into this to ensure I can use my 4TB drives on this backplane. Thanks Stux!

wxlsxn

Dabbler
Also, I never stated my implied usage but it would be Plex, media storage, file storage, possible DC, backup for other PCs, owncloud, likely a VM or two.
RAIDZ2 using 6 disks.

My backup solution isn't solidified yet either but I was thinking:
If I use the Supermicro chassis, then I could use the extra 2 hotswap bays to do offline backups and put them into a safe weekly/monthly or anytime I'm about to make significant changes.
If I use the Node 804, leaving the extra 2 drives installed and backing up to or using the Supermicro as a 2nd build for backing up to.
On top of either of those solutions, I'm going to use CrashPlan.
Lastly, I half considered using the previously installed Tape drive on the Supermicro for long term backups, but not sure on this without finding out more.

Do these sound reasonable or any obvious flaws with the plan?

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's a -TQ; it's completely passive, so disk size is a non-issue. It means cabling will suck, though if it's only 8 bays it won't be too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.