BSD Now Episode 14 - ZFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So I'm about to watch this. Am I going to like it? Will it provide useful details or just "salesperson fluff"?

I guess I should preface this with the fact that I've never watched "BSD Now" so I have no idea if its 2 guys talking about random stuff, interviews with engineers, or highly technical stuff like a classroom setting.

Hoping the latter!

DJ9

Contributor
I actually didn't get around to watching the entire video prior to me posting the link, but I thought it was fairly interesting.

I learned a few things, so that's always good. ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm a little disappointed.

First 45 minutes or so George Wilson talked. Good conversation, mostly discussing the the future of ZFS.

Then Allan Jude talks about how to do various things from the CLI. Of course, 99.99% of FreeNAS users should not be using those CLI skills anyway.

Then there's a short Q&A session where some people asked questions and they are answered.

Nothing too terribly complex in my opinion. The CLI section does have a virtue of showing some of the secrets behind the GUI which may be useful for some users that are trying to grasp some of these fundamentals.

DJ9

Contributor
I did enjoy the talk with George Wilson and the future features of ZFS. The CLI features I'm already playing with in a FreeBSD virtual machine. Breaking stuff and redoing from a snapshot is always a good learning experience.

anika200

Contributor
I found the zfs cli part of the show totally engaging and really nice tutorial. I wondered why zfs was so popular and after seeing the show it all makes sense. Thanks for the link dj9.:)

Allan Jude

Dabbler
I'm a little disappointed.

The episode was about ZFS specifically, and not FreeNAS.

The following week, we recorded a interview with a FreeNAS developer, and showed off the basics of FreeNAS (very basic, just for people who'd never used it before)

Also, I tend to answer more general ZFS, pool design and FreeNAS questions on my sysadmin podcast, TechSNAP.tv as many FreeNAS users are not exclusively BSD users

Side note: the above episode included a special message from jkh@ just for cyberjock, and now I see why :p

Reactions: emb

cyberjock

Inactive Account
:P Howdy Allen. I thought that whole thing was hilarious. I just wish I had the short part of the video where you guys debated it for about 30 seconds. The look in your faces going back and forth on it was priceless. If you have that I'd love a copy!

Don't take my comment about being disappoined personally. You gave a good presentation. For me, personally, and the detail I was hoping to see about ZFS, it wasn't there. To be honest, I doubt a 10 hour lecture by the ZFS developers themselves would have included enough detail to make me happy.

Welcome to the forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.