Broadcast storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure how or why ( I am still researching ) but this morning when I decided to move my Freenas box from my living room to my bedroom it started generating STP MAC Pause packets. I put the server back out in the living room and it will not stop doing this. I am still looking into this myself but was wanting to see if anyone else here has run into this in the past. I'm not finding much info...

Ethernet II, Src: Spanning-tree-(for-bridges)_01 (01:80:c2:00:00:01), Dst: Spanning-tree-(for-bridges)_01 (01:80:c2:00:00:01)

louisk

Patron
Couple of questions:
How long was the freenas box unplugged during the move?
Was it plugged into the same switch, but different port(s)?
Are there any LAGG connections in play here?
Are there multiple switches? Have you rebooted any of them since the move?

It was unplugged for maybe 10 min or less.
Yes same switch different port.
no LAGG connections
just the one Netgear switch/router

louisk

Patron
You might try a couple of things. 1) leave the host unplugged for 10-15min, or 2) reboot the switch. Sometimes switches get twitchy if they see the same host pop up on a new port before they've had a chance to forget it existed on the previous port. The switch should only cache this information for 5-10min, but the easiest way to force it is a reboot (not always an option however).

it was unplugged for roughly 9-10 hours this time.
rebooted the switch

still not working

it is curious. before it goes nuts and floods my network with the STP packets I am able to ping it with some loss. for some reason I am thinking that after the shutdown / move the configuration of the network card was messed up. I am going to look into configuring it by hand.

louisk

Patron
It may also be worth going through the reconfigure network from the console, removing your devices and re-adding them. It could also be funky/faulty hardware. You might try different network card and different switch port to try to isolate this.

did more reading on this... Tried a new install... still nothing so then I said enough is enough and got a new gig NIC and BLAM it works fine. What I don't get is the onboard NIC card works fine with any live CD I have put in... Kind of weird but oh well it works now.

-Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.